UFCW Canada

UFCW Canada

September 11, 2012 15:26 ET

Death strikes another Ontario migrant agriculture worker

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Sept. 11, 2012) - The Ministry of Labour is investigating the workplace death of a Mexican migrant agriculture worker who was fatally injured Monday at an orchard operation in Ontario's Prince Edward County. The name of the deceased has not been released, pending notification of next-of-kin.

Reports from the scene indicate the worker was in the process of attaching a water tank to a tractor when the accident occurred. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. This latest fatality brings the toll to thirteen migrant workers killed this year working in the Ontario agriculture sector.

"This has been a devastating year in Ontario," said Wayne Hanley, National President of UFCW Canada. "We have seen causality rates continue to climb with little or no response from the federal or provincial governments. Lack of enforcement and educational programs specific to the needs of the workers and the industry have failed to materialize," said the UFCW Canada leader.

"We are saddened by this terrible news and deeply concerned that another worker in Ontario agriculture has been killed. The number of workers not returning to their families will continue to grow if we don't act soon," said the leader of Canada's largest private-sector union, which earlier this year organized a fundraising campaign (see www.ufcw.ca) that raised over $225,000 for the families of the victims of a horrific collision near Hampstead, Ontario that claimed the lives of 10 migrant workers and an Ontario truck driver.

In association with the Agriculture Workers Alliance, UFCW Canada operates four agriculture worker support centres across Ontario and has led the campaign for improved safety and workplace monitoring for workers in Ontario agriculture.

Contact Information