SACRAMENTO, CA--(Marketwire - March 29, 2013) - John Demas and the attorneys at Demas Law Group are offering a complimentary review of insurance policies to determine if they cover accidents and damages. Having proper insurance is very important, and many people do not really understand their own coverage. With the help of Demas Law Group attorneys, clients can be sure they have the proper coverage in case of an accident.
Demas Law Group, a Sacramento personal injury firm, is offering a free evaluation of insurance policies for anyone who has questions about their coverage.
California law requires drivers to have minimum insurance coverage including at least the following:
- $15,000 per individual per accident in liability coverage for personal injury
- $30,000 for multiple victims in liability coverage for personal injury
- $5,000 in property damage
California drivers should carry several other forms of coverage besides the minimum required by the State. While minimum coverage meets state requirements, such coverage is inadequate if a driver causes a serious accident.
Any amount that is not covered by insurance becomes the at-fault driver's personal responsibility if a victim successfully sues. Therefore, it is wise to carry more than the state minimum coverage. Many people choose to double or even triple their insurance coverage so their assets are protected if a serious at-fault accident occurs.
Drivers can choose from a variety of additional coverage types. These additional coverages are designed to cover certain circumstances not normally covered by liability insurance.
- Uninsured motorist coverage. Because of the large number of drivers who do not have insurance coverage, it is wise to have uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage pays the difference between what an at-fault driver is covered for and the cost of the damages.
- Collision coverage. This pays for repairs to the driver's car in case of an at-fault accident. Property damage or uninsured motorist coverage usually pays only if the accident is someone else's fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. This coverage pays for any damage to a vehicle that is not related to a collision: glass breakage, storm damage, fire or theft, for example.
- Med Pay. Med Pay, short for "medical payments," is optional covering in California, but it makes sense to take out this coverage. Med Pay has no deductible or co-payments but pays the medical bills of you and those in your car if you are involved in an accident. Med Pay also travels with you, so if you ride in someone else's car, you are also covered.
For a limited time, Demas Law Group is offering a free review of all insurance coverage for clients who are concerned that their coverage may not protect them in the event of a collision. Demas attorneys will review the existing policy and may make recommendations for increasing coverage amounts or limits to protect drivers in the event of a crash.
About Demas Law Group: Demas Law Group is a Sacramento personal injury firm that represents victims of vehicle accidents, including car accidents, motorcycle collisions, truck crashes and pedestrian and bicycle collisions. Demas attorneys offer free consultations to anyone who has been injured in a vehicle accident or who has been the victim of a defective product, a nursing home abuse incident or a dog bite.
Source: California Department of Motor Vehicles, "Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Registration."
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2013/3/29/11G004142/Images/demas_070-553387309637.jpg
Embedded Video Available: http://youtu.be/9oVeB-KCJq0