ENGLEWOOD, CO--(Marketwire - Jul 27, 2012) - DISH, in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal's coverage of the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games to commence on Wednesday, July 25 through Sunday, August 12. Designed to provide video subscribers with access to NBCUniversal's more than 5,293 hours of unprecedented Olympic programming, this offering represents the largest number of total Olympics hours ever. DISH will offer NBCUniversal's Olympic content live and on-demand, across multiple digital, mobile and tablet platforms.
"DISH customers across the country will have access to a fantastic Olympic viewing experience via NBC's multiplatform coverage," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming at DISH. "Being able to watch NBCUniversal's Olympic programming in crystal-clear HD is as close to physically being at each event in London as you can get. And when you add our lineup of interactive features it is like having your own Olympic tour guide walking you through NBC's comprehensive programming lineup so you can maximize every memorable Olympic moment."
In addition to extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal, including NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Telemundo and two HD specialty channels, subscribers can stay connected to the London Summer Olympic Games wherever they go exclusively via NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Olympics and NBC Olympics Live Extra apps.
As part of a DISH consumer's video subscription, NBCUniversal is bringing Olympic content to subscribers live and on-demand, online, and on mobile and tablet devices via applications. This additional access to NBCUniversal's Olympic programming extends DISH customers' opportunities to watch the Games wherever they are.
Following are multiplatform offerings that will allow DISH customers to watch and be a part of the 2012 London Olympic Summer Games, including live streaming, VOD, mobile and tablet apps and an iTV app.
NBCUniversal's Olympics Experience on DISH Includes:
- NBCOlympics.com: NBC Olympics Live Extra, the exclusive home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to verified customers who subscribe to a package that includes CNBC and MSNBC and who sign-in. NBCOlympics.com will live stream more than 3,500 total programming hours from NBCUniversal networks, including NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo, for the first time ever, so that DISH customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Those subscribers who sign in and verify their subscriptions by Friday, July 27 can enter the NBC Olympics Live Extra Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, an HDTV, and other prizes, courtesy of NBCUniversal. DISH customers should follow these verification procedures to access Olympic programming via NBCOlympics.com:
1. Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
2. Click the "Click here & Get Ready" button
3. Select DISH as your TV provider
4. Enter your DISH Online ID and password that corresponds with your account
5. You are signed in throughout the Games on that device!
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: NBCUniversal is offering two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. The NBC Olympics Live Extra app is available to verified DISH customers and offers the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra. The NBC Olympics app includes short-form highlights, schedules, results and more and also links to the NBC Olympics Live Extra app.
- On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via DISH's Video-On-Demand service. See U.S. athletes compete in Diving, Gymnastics, Swimming, and Track & Field with over 100 highlights covering the U.S. Trials.
Pre-Games: Viewers can access more than 120, 4-8 minute clips available in SD and HD.
In Games: NBCU will offer more than 550 highlight clips, in addition to 240 full-length event replays, available within 24 hours of the event completion, all in HD and SD.
- Interactive TV: DISH customers will have access to an on-screen interactive application with NBCUniversal's real-time medal counts, athlete bios, team USA reports, Olympic news and more. The interactive TV experience is available to DISH customers during Olympic programming on the networks of NBCUniversal.
- Specialty Channels: Dedicated 24/7 basketball (channel 147) and soccer (channel 148) coverage is available to DISH customers.
The 2012 London Olympic Summer Games will run throughout 19 unforgettable days and nights, covering every sport, medal, champion and riveting moment. For more information, visit www.NBCOlympics.com or www.dish.com.
About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was "the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network."
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14 million satellite TV customers with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition lineup with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.