HARRISBURG, PA--(Marketwire - Jan 4, 2013) - Agriculture is Pennsylvania's largest industry, yet few appreciate the full impact of locally-produced goods on our financial and nutritional well-being. With the 97th annual PA Farm Show opening in Harrisburg this weekend, PA Preferred® launched an "Agri-cational" campaign for all Pennsylvanian's visiting the PA Preferred booth at the Farm Show or joining the online conversation.
How much home-grown know-how do you have about the Keystone State? Take the pop quiz below to find your Pennsylvania Ag-IQ.
1. Which type of PA fall produce was the key ingredient in Abe Lincoln's favorite pie?
2. Which of the following items can you find in your fridge and as alternative energy source in PA?
3. Vitamin D can be found by increasing your sun exposure. But which PA-produce item can provide you vitamin D without the sunburn?
4. Which of the following foods does not have its own museum in PA?
5. The capital of PA is Harrisburg. PA is also home to a number of agricultural "capitals." Which of the following is not one of them?
a. Black cherries
b. Christmas trees
6. Of the total amount produced in PA, which of the following products could fill 20,000 bathtubs?
c. Root beer
7. Until the 1850s, nearly every PA family had its own:
8. Which of these animals is not part of the name of a PA-produced beer?
9. Pennsylvania could pay for the 2012 Presidential election campaigns with its total sales of:
a. Meat products
b. Forest exports
c. Mushroom production
10. This popular munchies helped PA to earn its reputation as "Snack Food Capital of the World":
c. Pita chips
How did you do? Here's a guide to accessing your Ag-IQ?
Answers: 1) a 2) c 3) b 4) b 5) c 6) a 7) b 8) c 9) a 10) a
7-10 correct: Outstanding! Share your knowledge with fellow Pennsylvanian's!
4-6 correct: Well on your way! Check out the PA Preferred Facebook page to learn even more!
1-3 correct: Good start. Keep learning about what local food and products make the PA difference!
About PA Preferred
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's PA Preferred® program is the official branding program of agricultural products grown or made in the Commonwealth. It was designed to help consumers clearly identify products produced in Pennsylvania and make it easier for them to support our agricultural industry. From fresh fruits and vegetables to farmers' markets, plant nurseries, fiber mills, restaurants, hardwood products, wineries, and Christmas trees, PA Preferred represents the diversity of the Keystone state's agriculture.