LEEDS, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Dec. 20, 2012) - Just what the doctor ordered - a tablet to shop on the move and take the headache out of Christmas, but fraud experts at Callcredit are warning festive shoppers to be vigilant against online fraud over the festive period.
With most major retailers embracing the mobile Christmas experience allowing customers to shop and buy when and where they want, and with around 50 per cent of mobile searches leading to a purchase, a large number of consumers could be running the risk of their personal information falling into the wrong hands.
In the run up to Christmas Callcredit is advising consumers to be cautious whilst purchasing on the go and to check the websites they are buying from are secure and encrypted otherwise they could run the risk of having their personal and financial details stolen.
John Cannon, Head of Financial Crime, Callcredit said: "We have seen considerable growth in mobile shopping and in our recent white paper 'Mobile Review Q3 2012' it highlighted that retail tablet click volume had risen by an enormous 400 per cent year-on-year. We also expect to see smartphones accounting for over 15 per cent of retailers' online revenue during November and December and estimate 27 per cent of all paid search traffic within the retail sector to arrive from tablet and smartphone by the end of December 2012.
"The simplicity mobile shopping brings combined with the excitement of Christmas makes it very easy for shoppers to let their guard down as they shop for the best price and gift this year. But with online fraud also on the increase especially during the festive season it is vital we all take that extra bit of care to protect ourselves whilst we shop on the go.
"The only headache shoppers want this Christmas is due to enjoying the festivities not because a thief has got hold of personal information and inflicted mayhem with their finances. Fraudsters can max out credit cards, drain bank accounts and ruin the festive season."
To help make life easier this festive season John has compiled a few tips so mobile customers can shop on the go more safely.
• Create a password for your smartphone or tablet - this can help reduce thieves shopping on your mobile device if stolen - giving you the chance to cancel/freeze accounts before fraudulent activity takes place
• Make sure you buy from a secure website that uses encryption - look out for those that have 'https' and a padlock symbol in the bottom corner of the screen, that means your payment details will be encrypted
• Ensure your mobile device has the latest anti-virus and firewall software - as shopping on mobile devises increases it is important to take the same precautions as you would at home when shopping online. The threats and viruses are just as prevalent on a smartphone or tablet
• Beware of spurious Apps - fraudsters are now becoming more sophisticated in the tools they utilise to capture personal data
• Check your credit report for suspicious activity - your credit report holds a record of all your financial commitments and can be one of the first places to identify fraudulent activity. If your report shows any accounts or addresses that aren't yours or applications for credit that you know nothing about, contact the credit report provider who will help and support to get this corrected
• Sign up for 'free for life' access to your credit report at www.noddle.co.uk
Q3 2012 Mobile Review - Latitude Digital Marketing, a part of the Callcredit Group.
About Callcredit Information Group - www.callcredit.co.uk
Callcredit Information Group's leading approach to deploying consumer information brings together experts across the fields of credit referencing, marketing services, interactive solutions and consultative analytics to provide clients with a range of innovative and effective products to discover new customers and to engage with current customers to optimise and increase profitability.
Products include award-winning fraud verification tools and database solutions to positively verify consumers, global operations to help expand businesses into new markets, digital solutions to improve the overall journey consumers make during interaction with a brand, customer handling to ensure consumer satisfaction at all levels and consumer marketing data and segmentation to improve understanding and targeting of customers and prospects.
Callcredit also offers products for their clients to assess a customer's credit risk and affordability and their experts in collections and recoveries provide tailored debt recovery and tracing tools. Their market analysis and network planning function helps organisations develop profitable retail networks, and their tools in multi bureau, analytics and metrics work to provide fully assessed bureau data.