LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwired - May 10, 2013) - East Midlands Trains has confirmed plans to offer discounted tickets and compensation for customers inconvenienced by the major resignalling work taking place in Nottingham during the summer.
In a first for the rail industry, the train operator, which is part of Stagecoach Group, has announced that it will be offering a 15% discount on rail fares across the affected routes for the duration of the work as well as increasing the number of cheaper tickets available. Customers already holding an annual season ticket for travel on East Midlands Trains journeys to/from Nottingham affected by the changes to train services will receive two weeks worth of free travel.
Neil Micklethwaite, Customer Service and Commercial Director for East Midlands Trains, said: "This is an exciting and significant improvement scheme that will deliver a much improved railway for Nottingham. We have worked hard with Network Rail to ensure that we can continue running trains wherever possible. However, we know that many customers will face disruption to their journey and will need to use replacement bus services for parts or even all of their journey during the works.
"This is the first time that Network Rail has carried out a project of this kind, where travel is disrupted for this length of time. We therefore felt it was particularly important to do something unique for our customers to recognise the major change they will see to their normal train journey.
"It's the first time a train operator has ever provided compensation and discounts for customers during a major period of work such as the Nottingham scheme. We are pleased to be showing our commitment to putting our customers first and doing the right thing for them during these works."
The resignalling work will take place between Saturday 20 July and Sunday 25 August and will result in some significant changes to East Midlands Trains services on routes to and from Nottingham. Full information and timetables can be found at http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/nottingham.
Replacement bus services will be in place on many routes throughout this time. Customers needing to use one of these replacement bus services for all or part of their East Midlands Trains journey will benefit from the discounted tickets and compensation arrangements in place.
The 15% discount will apply on tickets purchased for travel between 20 July and 25 August (excluding advance purchase tickets) that involve travel on a replacement bus. An increased number of cheaper advance purchase fares will also be made available during this time, with advance fares between Nottingham and London priced from just £13 when booked online at www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk.
Annual or period season ticket holders who have already purchased their season ticket for travel on East Midlands Trains services to/from Nottingham between 20 July and 25 August, will receive two weeks of travel vouchers in compensation (claims will be accepted after the disruption). Customers will need to write to East Midlands Trains Customer Relations team either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or checking www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk for further contact details.
Discounted travel is only available on journeys where East Midlands Trains is the primary train operator. For travel between Derby and Nottingham, CrossCountry Trains, who are the primary train operator on this route, will be offering the cheap day off peak return fare for travel any time throughout the day, which reduces the cost of peak time travel by 7%.
For further information, to download a timetable or to sign up for future updates, visit www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/nottingham.
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
For a selection of East Midlands Trains images visit www.flickr.com/photos/eastmidlandstrains.
East Midlands Trains
- East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
- East Midlands Trains is currently investing over £40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
- East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
- Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
- Stagecoach is one of UK's biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,000 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
- Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
- Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
- In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com serves more than 100 cities in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.