LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwired - Sept. 27, 2013) - East Midlands Trains will be joining in with the World's Biggest Coffee Morning on Friday 27 September to help raise valuable funds for the Macmillan Cancer Support Charity.
The Stagecoach-owned rail operator will be asking all customers to get on board and make a donation either on the train, or at their local rail station. Collection boxes will be available on the at-seat trolley services, in First Class lounges and at ticket offices across the East Midlands Trains network.
Limited edition Macmillan pin badges will be available to purchase at major train stations on the network and East Midlands Trains First Class lounges will have an area dedicated to the charity, offering customers the opportunity to purchase a badge or a slice of cake, kindly donated by Pullins Bakery.
East Midlands Trains employees are also getting involved with head office and maintenance depot staff holding their own cake sales to raise additional funds for the Macmillan charity.
Kelda Bassett, Service Development Manager for East Midlands Trains, said: "We're really looking forward to getting involved in the World's Biggest Coffee Morning on Friday. This is a great opportunity for our employees and customers to help raise some valuable funds for such a worthy charity.
"We know that many of our customers and staff will have received support from Macmillan and this allows us to help play our part in recognising the ongoing work of this important charity."
Steve Loane, Macmillan area fundraising manager for Macmillan in Derbyshire said: "Many, many thanks to East Midlands Trains and Rail Gourmet for supporting this, our flagship fundraising event, in such a big way and with such enthusiasm, we're really grateful. Thanks also to Pullins Bakery for their generous donation. Every year we are amazed by the response we get to the event and we're hoping that this year our coffee morning will be even bigger and better than before. We rely almost 98% on public donations such as this to help fund our work for people affected by cancer and their families, so the help provided is really very much appreciated. We hope everyone really enjoys the day and of course all that lovely cake!"
East Midlands Trains will be supported by its catering partner Rail Gourmet. As well as getting its trolley staff involved in helping to raise money, Rail Gourmet will also be making a donation from its tea, coffee and cake sales.
For more information about East Midlands Trains, visit http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk or for more information about the coffee.macmillan.org.uk.
Notes to Editors
For media enquiries, please contact East Midlands Trains on 01738 442111. Out of office hours: An on-call service operates for urgent media enquiries out of hours. To access this service, please call 08448 222888 and quote MEDIA1. Please leave a short message, including your name, media organisation, phone number and the nature of your enquiry. The on call press officer will then return your call.
For a selection of East Midlands Trains images visit www.flickr.com/photos/eastmidlandstrains.
East Midlands Trains
• East Midlands Trains, part of the Stagecoach Group, runs fast, frequent trains from and to London St Pancras International and key UK destinations throughout the East Midlands, including Leicester, Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool.
• East Midlands Trains is currently investing over £40 million to improve stations across its network and every single passenger train within its fleet.
• East Midlands Trains is committed to offering great value fares. Use the East Midlands Trains Best Fare Finder to search for cheap train tickets and book cheap train tickets to London and on more than 400 routes across the UK.
• Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
• Stagecoach is one of UK's biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,000 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach's buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group's business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
• Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
• Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
• In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com serves more than 100 cities in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.