BELLINGHAM, WA and PITTSFIELD, MA--(Marketwired - September 30, 2016) - Entries are being accepted through 7 October for the prestigious 2017 Prism Awards for Photonics Innovation. The annual competition sponsored by SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, and Photonics Media honors groundbreaking technology and product inventions from the optics and photonics industry.
The awards will be announced and presented in nine categories by photonics industry leaders at a gala banquet on 1 February during SPIE Photonics West in San Francisco.
Recent news details some winners' successes:
- NKT Photonics announced its plan to purchase Fianium (winner Scientific Lasers, 2015: high-power fiber lasers generating ultrafast broadband supercontinuum light).
- Seek Thermal (winner Imaging and Cameras, 2015: thermal imaging camera) announced a strategic marketing partnership with OtterBox.
- Mermec (winner Detectors, Sensing, Imaging, and Cameras, 2012: diagnostic system mounted to high-speed trains to analyze tunnels and obstacles ahead) was awarded a 10-year contract by the Finnish Transport Agency.
- Gartner, Inc., ranked Nanoscribe (winner Advanced Manufacturing, 2014: 3D laser lithography system) among the top five "Cool Vendors in 3D Printing 2016".
- Amplitude Systèmes (winner Industrial Lasers, 2012: ultrafast fiber laser) announced a partnership with Samsung Ventures Investment Corp., and a collaboration agreement with Max Born Institute.
Prism Awards boost visibility, recognition, and brand equity for companies bringing innovative products to market.
"Our goal with the Prism Awards is to give visibility to the extraordinary innovation across the optics and photonics community," said SPIE CEO Eugene Arthurs. "Each year we showcase the realization of the potential for photonics that can be found in SPIE conferences. It is energizing to be part of this enterprise, encouraging invention, and laying the foundations for rewarding and meaningful careers."
Applications are judged by a panel of industry experts, venture capitalists, luminaries, and visionaries.
"All great innovation starts with vision, and the vision shown annually by companies entering the Prism Awards continues to validate our own decades-strong mission to support the photonics industry. As media sponsor of the Prism Awards, we encourage every company with an exciting new product to enter the competition. Selection as a finalist or winner offers unprecedented exposure among peers and prospective customers alike," said Tom Laurin, President/CEO of Laurin Publishing Co.
SPIE is the international society for optics and photonics, an educational not-for-profit organization founded in 1955 to advance light-based science, engineering and technology. The Society serves nearly 264,000 constituents from approximately 166 countries. In 2015, SPIE provided more than $5.2 million in support of education and outreach programs. www.spie.org
About Photonics Media
With a collective subscriber base of more than 150,000 worldwide and more than 1 million unique website visits per year, Laurin Publishing's Photonics Media products and publications lead the industry with editorial excellence and integrity -- fostering a tradition of innovation and progress by sharing knowledge, insights and a vision for the future. More information at www.photonics.com