ATLANTA, GA--(Marketwire - Nov 12, 2012) - Enviro-Log®, Inc., a leader in eco-friendly products for home heating, and outdoor activities such as camping, hiking and tailgating, urges households to prepare for extreme weather by following important safety tips that can help protect family members.
"Every household should prepare for extreme weather in advance and be ready for loss of power and utilities or worse," said Ross McRoy, president of Enviro-Log, Inc. "We encourage every household to have an emergency plan and emergency kits stored in homes and vehicles that are ready for use regardless of season. In situations of flooding or downed power lines, it is important to evacuate the premises and seek shelter elsewhere."
Natural disasters can create unique and challenging circumstances, therefore McRoy stresses some key essentials to make difficult situations more manageable.
Make a family emergency plan. Everyone should know what to do during in an emergency in case all family members are not together. Pick a place to meet and make sure everyone knows the address of the location. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recommends that you program a family member as "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) in your phone. If you are in an accident and not able to communicate, emergency personnel will often check your ICE listings in order to get a hold of someone you know.
Have an emergency kit in your house.
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least 10 days, for drinking and sanitation in case of emergencies
- A 10 day supply of non-perishable food and a manual can opener
- A battery-powered or hand-crank NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert, and extra batteries
- A flashlight and extra batteries
- A lighter, flint or waterproof matches for starting fires
- Firelogs* or firewood to be used for home heating and cooking (*only brands approved for cooking)
- A first-aid kit
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- A laminated area map and compass
- A cell phone with an extra battery or solar charger
- A LAN-line phone that operates without electrical power
- Any special-needs items for children, seniors or people with disabilities
- Water and supplies for your pets
- Supply of critical medicines and prescriptions
Carry a survival kit in your vehicle.
- A first-aid kit
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- A cellular phone or two-way radio
- A windshield scraper with snow brush
- Flashlight with batteries
- Extra winter clothes including shoes, hats and gloves
- Compact shovel
- Traction aids (bag of sand or cat litter) and tow chain
- Emergency flares
- Jumper cables
- Non-perishable food and bottled water
- A laminated road map
- A transportable non-restrictive heat source such as firelogs (firewood cannot be transported by law in some locations)
- Do not store liquid fuels in your car
- Any special-needs items for children, seniors or people with disabilities, who might be travelling with you
- Water and supplies for any pets travelling with you
McRoy also encourages families to use extra caution and follow proper safety guidelines when operating portable generators. McRoy recommends Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines on proper generator use, which can be found at: http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurricane_Facts/portable_generator_safety.pdf
For additional information on preparing for extreme winter weather, please visit:
About Enviro-Log, Inc.
Enviro-Log® is an eco-friendly, consumer products and recycling company headquartered in Fitzgerald, Ga. Enviro-Log is the largest waxed cardboard recycler in North America and the third largest producer of manufactured firelogs in the U.S. Its firelogs are made of 100 percent recycled materials and burn cleaner than wood while providing 50 percent more heat per pound. Enviro-Log Firelogs can be purchased at select national retail locations including Home Depot, Kmart, Lowes, True Value, Rite Aid, Sears, Whole Foods, Walmart, Dollar General, Shaw's SuperMarkets, Select Ace Hardware, Stop & Shop, Fred Meyer, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Weis Markets, Winn-Dixie, Blain's Farm & Fleet and many regional retailers throughout the U.S. Enviro-Log Firelogs are also available in Canada at Lowe's, Walmart, and Canadian Tire locations. Made from 100 percent recycled eco-friendly wax, Enviro-Log Firestarters offer an alternative to kindling, petroleum-based starter blocks, lighter fluids, and ethanol-based gels. Enviro-Log Firestarters are available at select retail locations throughout the United States, including Ace Hardware, Lowe's Home Improvement stores nationwide and many regional grocery and hardware retailers such as Weis Markets, Stop & Shop, Blain's Farm & Fleet and Giant. More information on Enviro-Log can be found at www.enviro-log.net or by calling (866)343-6847. Retailers can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow Enviro-Log on Facebook® at www.Facebook.com/Envirolog, or Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/EnviroLogFire for tips and product giveaways.
Enviro-Log is a registered trademark of Enviro-Log, Inc. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are properties of their respective companies.