MISSION, KS--(Marketwired - Jan 29, 2014) - (Family Features) Whether you're reminiscing about a romantic getaway or dreaming of a future foray to the City of Light, you can recreate the elegance and joie de vivre of Paris in your own corner of the world.
Vignettes of French life provide delightful inspiration for handmade crafts and decor that bring the mystique and romance of Paris to life. Pull inspiration from the sights and sounds that define the city, such as the softly muted illumination of a cozy French bistro.
Strips of fabric are tied and knotted around wire lampshade frames to create soft stripes of color and texture in this project for Fabric Strip Lamp Shades, from the crafting experts at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Whether you hang them indoors or out, these whimsical pieces create a soft and romantic ambiance you'll love.
For more Parisian-inspired decor ideas, visit www.joann.com.
Fabric Strip Lamp Shades
Crafting Time: Weekend project
Skill Level: Some experience necessary
Supplies and Tools:
Fabrics in a variety of colors and textures (approximately 2-3 yards)
Rotary cutter, cutting mat and ruler
Spray paint to match fabric
Cover for work surface
Lamp cord set, turn knob socket and loops for hanging (available at hardware stores)
1. Remove any fabric or paper from the lampshade so only the wire frames are exposed.
2. Spray paint lampshade frames. Let dry.
3. Cut fabric on the bias into 2" strips.
4. Starting at the top of lampshade frame, tie a knot with the end of one fabric strip onto frame. Wrap fabric around the top of frame until completely covered, knotting strips together when each strip is close to ending.
5. Tie another strip of fabric to the knot tail and wrap under and around the front of the closest vertical wire on the frame. Go to the next vertical wire, wrap and continue around all vertical wires working around and down the lampshade. Tie extra knots throughout to add interest. At the bottom of the frame, tie a knot to finish.
6. Tie another strip to the knot tail and wrap around the bottom until the entire frame is covered. Tie knot to finish.
7. Trim all knot tails throughout.
8. Attach cord set, knob and hanging loops as instructed.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.