SMITHVILLE, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 16, 2016) - Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
Stanpac Inc., the largest employer in Smithville, is nearing capacity and must expand to support its plan for growth.
Chris Bittle, Member of Parliament for St. Catharines, announced that FedDev Ontario is investing up to $4.5 million for the dairy and beverage packaging manufacturer to increase production capacity at its Smithville facilities. The announcement was made today on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for FedDev Ontario.
This repayable contribution, through FedDev Ontario's Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative, will allow Stanpac Inc. to integrate advanced manufacturing processes and add four new production lines to meet the increasing needs of existing customers, diversify its customer base and pursue export opportunities in new global markets.
Through this project, Stanpac Inc. will increase shipments by rail, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions. It will also allow the company to continue to provide consumers with paper and glass packaging that is 100 percent recyclable.
Stanpac Inc.'s expansion will help strengthen the southern Ontario economy by adding up to 50 new permanent manufacturing jobs in the Niagara region.
"Stanpac Inc. is a key contributor to the local economy and the company's continued growth supports the revitalization of manufacturing in the region. The expansion also means more business for the company's supply chain. I am proud our government recognizes the key contributions of companies like Stanpac and is taking steps to invest in them and ensure they are competitive in the global marketplace."
- Chris Bittle, Member of Parliament for St. Catharines
"Today's announcement highlights our ongoing commitment to investing in the vital manufacturing sector. We are pleased to support Stanpac Inc. in its efforts to grow, innovate and export, while adopting environmentally-friendly solutions. This will help the company to remain competitive, succeed in the global economy and create well-paying jobs for Canadians."
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
"It takes a community to make a difference and the FedDev Ontario investment will make a huge difference as we continue to leverage our innovation and proprietary products throughout North America and beyond. These advances will in turn increase employment and support local trades and businesses in Niagara, which is good for all of us."
- Murray Bain, Vice President Marketing, Stanpac Inc.
"It is our pleasure to be here today to continue to support Stanpac through SMART funding programs. SMART is an important program that helps many manufacturers to grow and compete globally. Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters is proud to partner with FedDev Ontario to invest in the manufacturing sector-the most important sector in the economy."
- Ian Howcroft, Vice President, Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters Ontario
- Established in 1949, Stanpac Inc. manufactures packaging supplies for the dairy, food and beverage industries and is a key player in the ice cream packaging industry in Canada.
- This FedDev Ontario funding is leveraging an additional $41.1 million in private sector investment, towards a total project cost of $45.6 million.
- Stanpac Inc. also received $100,000 through the FedDev Ontario-funded Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters SMART Advanced Technologies for Global Growth program to purchase new equipment that will increase productivity and prevent bottlenecks in the production line.
Investing in Business Growth and Productivity
Government of Canada's Innovation Agenda
Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters (CME)
Subscribe to our news updates and follow us on Twitter @FedDevOntario