Human Resources and Social Development Canada

Human Resources and Social Development Canada
Government of Alberta

Government of Alberta

December 12, 2008 12:00 ET

Federal Government and Government of Alberta Launch Newborn Registration Service

EDMONTON, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - Dec. 12, 2008) - Alberta parents of newborns can now use a single application form to register their child's birth and apply for his or her Social Insurance Number (SIN). The joint initiative was announced today by the Honourable Rob Merrifield, Minister of State, Transport and Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, on behalf of the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, and Heather Klimchuk, Minister of Service Alberta.

"This shows how our government is working in partnership with a provincial government to provide better services, in this case making it simpler for parents to access benefits for their children," said Minister Merrifield. "This partnership between the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta will streamline the birth registration and SIN application processes."

There are approximately 50,000 birth registrations in Alberta each year. The province requires the birth of every newborn to be registered with Service Alberta within 10 days.

With the Newborn Registration Service, after the birth registration is completed, the information will be sent electronically in a safe and secure manner to Service Canada, which is responsible for issuing SINs to Canadians. The child's SIN card will be delivered within fifteen business days at no cost to the applicant.

"Now, when Alberta parents register the birth of their newborn, they can also choose to apply for a Social Insurance Number," said Heather Klimchuk, Minister of Service Alberta. "Using one form to access both provincial and federal services will be a benefit to families."

SIN application as part of the Alberta birth registration form is optional and complies with the provincial Freedom of Information and Privacy Protection Act ensuring the protection and security of all SIN information.

A SIN is required to access social benefits from the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta; such as a Registered Education Savings Plan, the Canada Learning Bond, the Canada Education Savings Grant, and the Alberta Centennial Education Savings Grant. Children will also need a SIN when they eventually apply for a job and pay income tax.

Service Canada is the Government of Canada's service delivery network. It brings a range of federal government services and benefits together to meet the needs of Canadians. Its goal is to provide easy access, personalized, one-stop service to more Canadians within their communities.

Service Alberta delivers a range of public services that touch the daily lives of Albertans and numerous support services for government ministries.

For more information on the Newborn Registration Service, parents can visit .

This news release is available in alternative formats, on request. Call 1-800-788-8282 on a touch-tone phone, or through a teletypewriter (TTY).

Contact Information

  • Medias only:
    Office of Minister Finley
    Michelle Bakos
    Press Secretary
    Service Canada
    Media Relations Office
    Service Alberta
    Cam Traynor
    Director of Communications
    To call toll free within Alberta, dial 310-0000
    General Public:
    1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)
    ATS : 1-800-926-9105