CONSHOHOCKEN, PA--(Marketwired - March 04, 2014) - The first annual 'IKEA US Life at Home Report', a snapshot of how Americans are living their lives at home, was released today. The survey results reveal that Americans care about their home environments being comfortable, rather than representing a status symbol of wealth.
According to consumers surveyed, 'comfort' is not about any single home furnishing or product function, rather, it's about creating an environment where household members can be with each other, relax, and live their best lives. Home is about connecting with family and friends to create and share memories. Each room has a story to tell; a laugh, a surprise, moments to remember.
Some interesting findings from the 'IKEA US Life at Home Report 2013' include:
- 95% say home is a place they can relax 1
- 94% feel their home is a place where they feel safe and secure 2
- 78% stated their home reflects their character 1
- 65% say the living/family room remains the most popular room in the house 3
- 52% of households allow phone calls or texting during dinner 4
- 58% of pet owners sleep with their cat or dog at least some of the time 4
- 71% of Americans recycle in their homes 5
- 43% of Americans have at least one LED light bulb in their home 6
The surveys were conducted in 2013 and the full 'IKEA US Life at Home Report' can be found at http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/this-is-ikea/reports-downloads/index.html.
IKEA routinely engages in a multi-pronged research effort to build a deep understanding of people's real lives at home. Forthcoming life at home reports will be issued by IKEA US and the IKEA Group.
1. IKEA Company Life at Home Study; Inter IKEA Systems BV; July 2012
2. IKEA Life Improvement Study - IKEA Consumer Panel; IPSOS Loyalty; April 2012
3. "In Which Room Do you spend the most time?" IKEA Quick Poll; IPSOS Loyalty; February 2012
4. IKEA Home Study; Wakefield, July 2013
5. IKEA Company Life at Home Study; Inter IKEA Systems B.V. July 2012
6. IKEA Home Study; Wakefield, September 2012
The IKEA vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. Our business idea supports this vision by offering a wide range of well-designed, functional home furnishing products at prices so low that as many people as possible will be able to afford them. There are currently 305 IKEA Group stores in 26 countries. There are 38 IKEA stores in the US. In FY 13, the IKEA Group had 135,000 co-workers, 684 million visitors to the stores and 1.3 billion visitors to IKEA.com. IKEA incorporates sustainability into day-to-day business and supports initiatives that benefit children and the environment. For more information, see IKEA-USA.com, facebook.com/IKEAUSA, @IKEAUSANews, @DesignByIKEA, http://pinterest.com/IKEAUSA/, www.youtube.com/IKEAUSA, www.theshare-space.com, www.theshare-space.com/en/Blog