HARTFORD, CT--(Marketwired - Jun 30, 2016) - The Wearsafe Tag, a pioneering new wearable safety tag that calls for help at the press of a button, launches today with its first subscription-based model. It is now available to consumers at www.wearsafe.com.
The first product offering from Wearsafe Labs, the Wearsafe Tag is the only wearable personal safety device on the market that instantly sends preselected contacts two pieces of critical information: the wearer's precise GPS location, and a live audio stream from the wearer's location that plays sounds recorded up to 60 seconds before the button is pressed.
How Wearsafe works
- Using email, text and push notifications, the Wearsafe Tag, when pressed, opens a group chat among predetermined friend and family contacts, who can then determine the best course of action.
- Contacts can communicate with one another instantly, and they may call 911 directly from the app if needed.
- Thanks to Wearsafe's advanced technology, the Tag also sends the group the 60 seconds of audio recorded just prior to the button being activated, for greater context.
- The low-energy Bluetooth device pairs with a smartphone within up to a 200-foot range, allowing users to discreetly call for help while keeping their phone out of sight.
"In our unpredictable world, the Wearsafe Tag is designed to be an empowering piece of technology that will change the way we think about personal security," said Phill Giancarlo, co-founder of Wearsafe Labs. "Just as the iPhone changed the way we communicate, the Wearsafe Tag has the potential to redefine personal safety."
Suitable for college students, outdoor adventurers, business travelers, or the elderly, the Wearsafe Tag launches with an initial awareness campaign geared toward students returning to college campuses later this summer.
"This isn't just a panic button that sends out an alarm," said Claire Zick, Wearsafe chief product officer. "We developed Wearsafe to have the right capabilities and be completely reliable if you ever need to call for help. One critical capability is capturing live audio from the scene. We've created a 'virtual situation' room so your network can hear what's going on and can easily share information to coordinate the best response. Having this context is crucial if emergency services are needed, so they have the context to send the right aid."
Zick noted that not every situation requires a call to police, and the unique design of the Wearsafe Tag gives the user's predetermined network the ability to decide what steps are needed. "One touch connects you to your most trusted family and friends, wherever you are, so you can feel more secure in whatever you're doing."
Wearsafe Tag's key features
- Discreet look, with activation at the press of a button
- A subtle vibration alerts the wearer when contacts respond to the alert
- The only wearable safety device to provide a live audio stream from the wearer's location, plus an audio recording of the 60 seconds prior to the button's activation
- Pairs with a smartphone located up to 200 feet away
- Affordable price tag of $5 a month for service, Tags at no charge to user
- Rugged, water resistant, reliable, based on extensive testing
What the experts say about Wearsafe
Rebeccah Pailes-Friedman, Principal of Interwoven Design Group and a professor and founding director of the Intelligent Materials Applied Research & Innovation (IMARI) Lab at the Pratt Institute, led research and development efforts for Wearsafe. "This is a powerful product, designed for peace of mind from a distance," Pailes-Friedman said. "As a professor I feel like I am helping my students be safe."
Rich Staropoli, former U.S. Secret Service Special Agent and Wearsafe security advisor, calls the device a "game changer." Said Staropoli, "Research shows that 1 in 5 women will be a victim of sexual assault or abduction on a college campus during a typical four-year course of study. I have a daughter in college, and feel strongly that this product should be on every college campus in America." He continued, "This device is simple, effective and works all the time -- it can prevent the unthinkable from happening."
Wearsafe (http://wearsafe.com/ ) is a leading developer of advanced wearable safety products designed to revolutionize the way you live your life. Wearsafe's products marry cutting edge technology with individual and institutional demand for personal safety. As pioneers in creating personal protection products and communication services that leverage mobile technology, Wearsafe's vision is to change the perception of safety and security products, from solely protecting locations and property, to protecting individuals, wherever they may be.