SOURCE: Project Courage Inc.

Project Courage Inc.

March 13, 2014 10:00 ET

Fleet Week Port Everglades Kicks Off With First 5K Ruck Run

Hundreds of Military, Supporters Carry Food to Support Returning Troops

DANIA BEACH, FL--(Marketwired - March 13, 2014) -  On Saturday, April 26, hundreds will don 20 lb. ruck sacks (military backpacks) filled with food and run a 5K course along the beach to support programs that serve veterans returning from overseas deployments.

The event, sponsored by Project Courage, a designated fund of H.E.L.O., a 501c3 non-profit organization, will kick off Fleet Week Port Everglades and benefits non-profit organizations that serve veterans, including Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) , Team Red White and Blue (Team RWB), Heroes Entering Life's Opportunities (H.E.L.O.) and Broward Navy Days.

"Just under 2% of American adults have carried the burden of serving their country in the military or have an immediate family member who served or are serving," said Bill Carney, President of Project Courage. "The Project Courage Ruck Run will give the other 98% an enjoyable, but challenging, insight into the weight that the 2% has had to carry over the past 11 years."

Proceeds from the Ruck Run and crowdfunding campaign are shared with Team Red, White and Blue, Special Operations Warrior Foundation, Broward Navy Days, H.E.L.O. and Project Courage. Go to Indiegogo to support the event.

You can enter the Ruck Run at www.couragegames.org and click on REGISTER. The high entry fee ($80) covers the entrant as well as an active duty service member. A part of the entry fee is tax-deductible.

Awards for each age category will be named in honor of one of the 26 Broward County service members who were killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan.

If enough Crossfit Boxes, fitness centers, public safety departments, high schools and colleges, ROTC and JROTC, etc. enter, teams, a separate award category will be created.

WHAT: Project Courage 5K Ruck Run, a charity race along the beach from Dania Pier into Hollywood and back. Participants will be issued a 20 lb. rucksack (military backpack) filled with rice, a chem light, a commemorative dog tag and T-shirt.

WHEN: Saturday, April 26, 8 p.m.

WHERE: Dania Beach Pier, 300 North Ocean Road, Dania Beach, Florida

REGISTRATION: Go to Active.com and type in Ruck Run - $80 participants, $480 per team of six (Active Duty military FREE). A significant portion of the registration fee supports active duty registrants and is Tax-Deductible.

INFORMATION: CourageGames.org or call 954-399-1619

Embedded Video Available: https://vimeo.com/88002664

Contact Information