GRAPEVINE, TX--(Marketwired - September 12, 2016) - No one is better at celebrating National Video Game Day on September 12 than GameStop, a family of specialty retail brands that makes the most popular technologies affordable and simple.
Video games were invented back in the 1950s, but became popular in the 70s and 80s. "Remember the early tennis game Pong? How about Donkey Kong or Super Mario Brothers? These were the breakthrough video games of their time. Now the industry has massive video game franchises like Call of Duty, Destiny and Pokémon. The best part about the video game industry is that it's always evolving," said Eric Bright, senior director of merchandising for GameStop. "Take a look at Madden NFL 17 that just launched. In the early days, features for the game were limited. Today the players are nearly lifelike -- you can even see them sweat. Plus, you can build your ultimate team because the game captures the actual stats of the players throughout the season."
Evolution of Gaming: Virtual Reality as a Game Changer
Today's gaming systems also are becoming lighter, sleeker and more powerful, making game play instant with incredible graphics. More powerful hardware has brought forward the latest developments in virtual reality (VR). VR makes game play immersive and close to "real-life," taking reality or fantasy to completely different levels.
"When you're in VR, you're not a spectator; you're a participant. You're not watching someone in a space ship; you're IN the space ship. You're not watching the tank; you're DRIVING the tank," Bright continued. "VR content also showcases a wide variety of situations, from real-life underwater adventures to defending yourself from space pirates in a 360-degree environment, to creating art on a canvas. There's something for everyone.
"Additionally, two days after National Video Game Day at our GameStop EXPO in Anaheim, CA, on September 14, fans will get to see, test and play all the latest VR technology, including the highly-anticipated PlayStation VR system before its release next month. Fans will also experience all the latest games, technologies, accessories, meet celebrities and play with collectibles while learning what's hot for the holidays this year."
Tickets can be purchased using PowerUp Rewards™ points or by credit card online at http://www.gamestop.com/expo and at your local GameStop store. To learn more about GameStop EXPO, details on the VIP experience, and to register for the show, visit http://www.gameStop.com/EXPO.
GameStop National Video Game Day Deals
It wouldn't be a great National Video Game Day without great deals on the latest games and accessories. To celebrate gaming enthusiasts, GameStop is offering deals including:
- Pre-orders of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Legacy Pro Edition at $119.99 includes Infinite Warfare, Modern Warfare remastered, season pass, collectible steelbook, digital game soundtrack, and additional digital content.
- Save 15% on three pre-owned PlayStation 3 games when you purchase three or more, or save 25% when you purchase five or more.
- Save 15% pre-owned PlayStation 3 games when you purchase three or more, or save 25% when you purchase five or more.
- Save $30 on Stealth 420X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox One, now $119.99, or save $30 on Stealth 500P Surround Sound Wireless Headset for PS4, now $99.99.
- Get 20% extra credit toward the purchase of NBA 2K17 (available September 16) or Destiny: Rise of Iron (available September 19) when you trade in any games or accessories - and GameStop PowerUp Pro customers get 10% more!
- Save on select Activision titles including:
- Save $20 on Guitar Hero, now $49.99
- Save $10 on Overwatch, now $49.99
- Save $10 on Call of Duty: Black Ops, now $29.99
- Save $10 on Ninja Turtles or Ghostbusters, both now $39.99
- Check in-store and online for additional deals on games, accessories and collectibles featuring many of the favorite franchises.
About GameStop Corp.
GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME), a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Grapevine, Texas, is a global, omnichannel video game, consumer electronics and wireless services retailer. GameStop operates more than 7,000 stores across 14 countries. The company's consumer product network also includes www.gamestop.com; www.Kongregate.com, a leading browser-based game site; Game Informer® magazine, the world's leading print and digital video game publication; and ThinkGeek, www.thinkgeek.com, the premier retailer for the global geek community featuring exclusive and unique video game and pop culture products. In addition, our Technology Brands segment includes Simply Mac and Spring Mobile stores. Simply Mac, www.simplymac.com, operates 74 stores, selling the full line of Apple products, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones and offering Apple certified warranty and repair services. Spring Mobile, www.springmobile.com, sells all of AT&T's products and services, including DIRECTV through its 1,421 AT&T branded stores and offers pre-paid wireless services, devices and related accessories through its 70 Cricket branded stores in select markets in the U.S.
General information about GameStop Corp. can be obtained at the company's corporate website. Follow GameStop on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GameStop and find GameStop on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GameStop.