EL SEGUNDO, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 2, 2014) - Fuhu, Inc., creator of the award-winning nabi tablet -- the world's first Android tablet built just for kids, and DreamWorks Animation (NASDAQ: DWA), one of the world's leading family entertainment brands, have launched a powerful game-changer in the tablet arena with the nabi DreamTab HD8. The nabi DreamTab has been designed from the ground up by Fuhu and DreamWorks Animation to engage kids with groundbreaking digital experiences that will help them unlock their full creative potential. It combines the latest technology with the iconic and universally beloved DreamWorks characters for an immersive experience that truly transforms the way kids learn, play and grow, inspiring the next generation of creative heroes. The nabi DreamTab debuts today at Wal-Mart and Target and will be available at other select retailers nationwide at a suggested retail price of $269.
Tapping into Fuhu's expertise in the kids tech space and DreamWorks Animation's world-class artists, filmmakers and innovators, the nabi DreamTab is specifically designed to deliver compelling digital experiences that help kids harness their creativity, learn and play in exciting new ways, and understand how to be responsible and make the right choices. The device is also developed with parents in mind, offering highly inventive parental controls. The DreamWorks Animation integrations will surprise and delight kids with newly created content and character moments featuring the stars of iconic franchises like Shrek, How To Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda seamlessly integrated to enhance learning and playing.
To deliver its diverse array of exclusive, signature experiences, Fuhu built an all-new operating system overlay -- Blue Morpho™ -- that offers more than 400 kid-focused features and incorporates advances in such areas as stylus and near field gaming technologies to take the overall kids tablet experience to the next level. Powered by the latest quad-core processor, the nabi DreamTab runs at lightning fast speed, rendering stunning HD graphics. Highlights of the nabi DreamTab include:
- Dream Pro Studio™ - Kids can aspire to become the next generation of creative heroes through this powerful suite of exclusive creative tools that teach children how to draw, animate, author their own books and edit movies like a pro!
- Dream Pen™ - To enhance both learning and creativity, the tablet includes the Dream Pen, a Wacom® high precision digital stylus -- the same stylus technology used by DreamWorks Animation's filmmakers -- and digital experiences optimized for use with the stylus. The Dream Pen is an extremely accurate, pressure-sensitive stylus that enables palm rejection.
- nabi Konnect™ - An ideal introduction to digital networking, this suite of kid-friendly instant messaging, email and photo sharing apps enable parents to create and manage one-to-one safe connections for their children to communicate with family and friends.
- Wings Learning System™ with new Creativity Island - One of the most advanced tablet based adaptive learning system, Wings adapts to the proficiency of each child for personalized courseware -- aligned with Common Core State Standards -- and skill set mastery in math, reading and writing. Introduced for the first time on the nabi DreamTab, Fuhu has added a new section to the program, Creativity Island, featuring art education including drawing lessons from DreamWorks' award-winning animation team. Furthermore, the nabi DreamTab's offline Bluetooth-enabled workbooks operate in conjunction with the nabi DreamTab to bring together offline and online learning experiences. Parents can gain insight into their kids' Wings performance through N-Site®, a real-time analytics and reporting platform accessible through the device's parent mode.
- nabi Play™, nabi Web™ and nabi Radio - Through nabi Play and nabi Web, kids will have an ample array of kid-friendly content to explore. The custom built "nabi Play" features a wide variety of kids programming -- from DreamWorks Animation as well as other leading children's favorite content sources -- all in one easy-to-navigate location. The new "nabi Radio" offers a wide selection of streaming kid-safe radio stations from today's hottest bands.
- Treasure Box™ and nabi Coins™ - A store curated just for kids, Treasure Box enables children to purchase movies, music, TV, games, apps, e-books and even real goods with nabi Coins -- a parent managed, rewards-based virtual currency system to help teach kids how to earn, save and spend money. Parents reward their kids with nabi Coins for completing chores and tasks in Chore List™ as well as finishing lessons in Wings Learning System.
- nabi Time Controls™ - A centerpiece of the robust parental controls, the new time controls allow parents to set limits for daily tablet and individual app use as well as create rules for their kids to earn extra screen time. Parents can select special animated vignettes created by DreamWorks Animation to come onto the screen at designated times to inform children it's time to study, go outside, go to sleep and much more.
- NFC gaming platform - The nabi DreamTab is the first tablet to incorporate NFC (near field communication) gaming technology in which figurines come to life online by tapping on the tablet. Coinciding with the launch of device, Fuhu will launch nabi Morpho Pods™, a collectible toy line in which kids build their own dragon figures and then digitally bring them to life through tapping the item on the nabi DreamTab. Initial NFC experiences will unlock new content designed for the popular online game School of Dragons and new storylines for Dragon adventures that grows with the child across three reading levels based on DreamWorks Animation's How to Train Your Dragon franchise.
- nabi Utilities Suite - Through the nabi Utilities Suite kids can learn to read time, understand weather, and manage a calendar.
- nabiGator™ remote parental controls app - A newly designed iOS and Android app available soon for download enables parents to remotely manage and monitor the device use, buy nabi Coins and stay connected with their child.
"The nabi DreamTab was built to help parents inspire and nurture the traits that come from learning how to be creative, think creatively and see the world creatively. The nabi DreamTab is equipped with tools that foster art and critical thinking," said Jim Mitchell, CEO of Fuhu. "We partnered with the DreamWorks Animation, to unleash your child's creativity and sense of wonder. We are the first kid's tablet to include a digital stylus that writes just like a pen for your little painter, story- teller, animator, and photographer. The nabi DreamTab was made just for them."
Jim Mainard, DreamWorks Animation's head of digital strategy, added, "Fuhu is bringing new levels of innovation to the kids tech space so we jumped at the opportunity to work with them to elevate the overall tablet experience. Today's kids are savvy consumers, so we enlisted the DreamWorks Animation filmmakers and artists to work hand-in-hand with our innovators to ensure that the nabi DreamTab would resonate with kids in a big way."
Fuhu and DreamWorks Animation will establish an ongoing relationship with families, who can continually look forward to engaging new content, upgrades and enhancements instantly delivered through Over-The-Air updates.
With the launch of nabi DreamTab, Fuhu has also introduced a wide range of unique and proprietary accessories for kids to personalize the look and feel of their tablet. These accessories range from nabi signature bumpers featuring imaginative DreamWorks characters, to headphones, screen protectors, carrying cases and other top-of-the-line branded products that enhance the nabi DreamTab experience. For more details, please visit: www.dreamtab.com
Recently named by Forbes Magazine as America's Most Promising Company and by Inc. Magazine as America's #1 Fastest Growing Company, Fuhu has established a new category in the kids tech space with its high-end technology solutions led by its best-selling nabi tablet -- the world's first full-featured Android tablet made just for kids -- as well as premium headphones, digital cameras and other accessories. The relationship with DreamWorks Animation furthers its mission to design and deliver "purposeful" and "thoughtful" experiences in entertainment and education to children.
About Fuhu, Inc.
Fuhu, Inc., the creator of the nabi tablet, is the leading designer, seller and innovator of thoughtful consumer products and services for children. Fuhu is committed to creating children's solutions that are: (1) socially responsible, (2) made right, (3) make a difference in people's lives, (4) For Parents. By Parents.® and (5) dedicated to the intellectual development of children. Fuhu, Inc. is the No. 1 Fastest-Growing Private Company amongst 5,000 in America as ranked by Inc.'s exclusive 32nd Inc. 500|5000 list. Fuhu is headquartered in El Segundo, Calif., with offices in Denver, San Jose, China, Hong Kong, Taipei and Japan. For more information, visit www.fuhu.com and www.nabi.com.
About DreamWorks Animation
DreamWorks Animation creates high-quality entertainment, including CG animated feature films, television specials and series and live entertainment properties, meant for audiences around the world. The Company has world-class creative talent, a strong and experienced management team and advanced filmmaking technology and techniques. DreamWorks Animation has been named one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" by FORTUNE® Magazine for five consecutive years. In 2013, DreamWorks Animation ranks #12 on the list. All of DreamWorks Animation's feature films are produced in 3D. The Company has theatrically released a total of 27 animated feature films, including the franchise properties of Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Puss in Boots, and The Croods.