Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

October 24, 2013 11:08 ET

Government of Canada Opens Up the World's Largest Common Market to Canadian Fish and Seafood Products

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA--(Marketwired - Oct. 24, 2013) - The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, highlighted today in Halifax before the Fisheries Council of Canada the significant benefits of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between Canada and the European Union announced last week.

"As Minister, I am proud to work for and with our fishermen - hard-working businessmen and women who earn a living by providing consumers with top-quality fish and seafood products," said Minister Shea. "This historic agreement is Canada's most ambitious ever and is a big win for those who harvest, process and sell fish."

When the Canada-EU Trade Agreement comes into force, almost 96 per cent of all EU tariffs on Canadian fish and seafood products will be eliminated, with the remaining 4 per cent to be eliminated by the 7th year of the Agreement.

Canada's fish and seafood products are among the best in the world. At the same time, the EU is the world's largest importer of fish and seafood, with a global import market averaging $25 billion annually between 2010 and 2012, and average seafood consumption of 26 kg per capita in 2010. It is already Canada's third largest fish and seafood export market with a value of more than $350 million in 2012, despite these high tariffs.

By providing preferential access to the world's largest common market, the trade agreement will give the Canadian industry a clear competitive advantage and will benefit hard-working Canadians, particularly in coastal communities through more jobs, higher wages, and long-term prosperity.

Currently, certain Canadian fish and seafood products face significant tariffs in the EU as high as 20 per cent (e.g. frozen mackerel, cooked and peeled shrimp). Other iconic Canadian products also face varying tariffs, including lobster (6 to 16 per cent), salmon (up to 15 per cent), hake (up to 15 per cent), and dried and salted cod (13 per cent).

"Our Government is proud of the actions we have taken to create opportunities that will strengthen the fishing industry," said Minister Shea. "We will continue to work closely with our fishermen and fish and seafood producers to help them grow and create jobs. I encourage every player in the industry to think outside the box and propose ways that your industry can be more viable and prosperous in the future."

Speech from the Honourable Gail Shea at the Fisheries Council of Canada Annual General Meeting.

For broadcast:

The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, highlighted today before the Fisheries Council of Canada the significant benefits of the Canada-EU Trade Agreement announced last week. We will continue to work closely with our fishermen and fish and seafood producers to help them grow and create jobs, said Minister Shea.

Internet: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Follow us on Twitter! www.Twitter.com/DFO_MPO

Contact Information

  • Frank Stanek
    Media Relations
    Fisheries and Oceans Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    613-990-7537

    Sophie Doucet
    Director of Communications
    Office of the Minister
    Fisheries and Oceans Canada
    613-992-3474