CAMBRIDGE, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 21, 2014) - Department of National Defence
The Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State (Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario), on behalf of the Honourable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence, today announced that the Government of Canada has awarded two contracts totalling $11.7 million to Kodiak Group Holdings and LP Royer for two types of new Canadian-made boots for the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
The Kodiak Group Holdings contract is valued at approximately $4.2M for 28,000 pairs of one version. The company's headquarters are in Cambridge, Ontario, and the boots will be manufactured in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. The L.P. Royer contract is for 52,000 pairs of a second version and is valued at approximately $7.5M. They will be manufactured onsite in Lac Drolet, Quebec. The contracts include options to buy up to an additional 70,000 boots over 4 years, which could bring the contract value up to an estimated $22 million. Production of the new boots will commence in the late Spring/Summer of 2014 and will be ready for use in early 2015.
These two contracts represent the creation of approximately 58 jobs and the sustainment of approximately 155 jobs across Canada. Specifically, the contract to L.P. Royer represents the creation of approximately 50 jobs and the sustainment of approximately 80 jobs; and the contract to Kodiak Group Holdings represents the creation of approximately 8 jobs and the sustainment of approximately 75 jobs.
- The boots are Canadian-made.
- Soldiers were consulted during the selection process and the final decision was based on user trials in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta.
- The development of this boot leverages Canadian industry and supports Canadian innovation.
- CAF soldiers will soon have a choice as to which type of boot they wish to wear depending on the fit and features of each.
- Two styles of boot will be procured with initial delivery quantities of 52,000 pairs of one variant and 28,000 pairs of a second.
"Our government remains committed to creating a favourable economic environment so that companies can grow their businesses and create jobs, growth and long-term prosperity. Today's announcement is another example of how this government continues to support its military men and women while creating a stronger economy for years to come."
- The Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State (Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario)
"Today's announcement is welcome news for the Canadian Armed Forces and Canadian industry. We are once again providing our men and women in uniform the tools they need to do their job at home and abroad," said Minister Nicholson. "Our solders deserve modern, reliable and effective military equipment and clothing to meet future national and global missions. These contracts reflect our commitment to our military while maintaining Canadian jobs."
- The Honourable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence