SOURCE: African Business Review

African Business Review

November 03, 2011 20:46 ET

Great North Transport: South Africa's Preferred Passenger Transport Service

SAN DIEGO, CA--(Marketwire - Nov 3, 2011) - As it transports 58 million passengers across the Limpopo province of South Africa, safety and reliability is a paramount focus for Great North Transport (GNT). The company's bus fleet consists of Scania chassis' with Marcopolo Torino bodies on each of its vehicles and Philippe Buyst, the Acting Chief Executive Officer of GNT, explains the company likes to keep its buses young: "We make sure our buses do not get to an age of more than 10 years. Our fleet's average age at present is five years."

GNT has subcontracted the maintenance of its buses to Scania, which Buyst believes enables the company to provide a solid and dependable service. "We have a 99.95 percent reliability rate," Buyst says. "The other 0.05 percent is due to breakdowns, mostly tyres and electrical problems. Our maintenance contract with Scania provides us with a very reliable service."

Although GNT already has a well developed network of routes, the company is planning to develop its routes and services even further. The company is looking at travelling across the borders of South Africa, going into Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Zambia. It is also looking at becoming involved in the luxury and semi-luxury coach travel market.

Read the full report on Great North Transport at: http://www.africanbusinessreview.co.za/reports/great-north-transport

About Great North Transport

Established in 1970, Great North Transport (GNT) has become the single largest passenger bus operator in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. The company boasts a fleet of 541 buses and every year transports 58 million passengers through 297 routes, from 11 depots across South Africa, travelling a total of 66 million kilometres.

About African Business Review

African Business Review is a leading digital media source of news and content for C-level executives focused on business and industry-specific news throughout Africa. African Business Review is the territory-dedicated arm of the White Digital Media Group. Founded in 2007 by entrepreneur Glen White, White Digital Media retains a diversified portfolio of websites, magazines, daily news feeds and weekly e-newsletters that leverage technology to innovatively deliver high-quality content, analytical data, and industry news. For more information, contact 1-760-827-7800 or visit http://www.africanbusinessreview.co.za/.

Contact Information