PROVIDENCE, RI--(Marketwired - Aug 26, 2013) - GreenBytes®, Inc., a developer of full-featured desktop virtualization storage optimization software, today announced significant enhancements to its award-winning vIO virtual storage solution for desktop virtualization. GreenBytes vIO 4.0 offers OEMs and service providers patented, high-performance virtual desktop deployment features, along with the flexibility required to cost effectively scale virtual desktop environments. With GreenBytes' patented zero latency inline deduplication technology, OEMs are able to deliver cloud-scale, next-generation desktop virtualization solutions that enable full-featured persistent virtual desktops, providing end users with a superior virtual desktop experience that is similar to the physical desktop they are most familiar with, all with up to 98% less storage space required.
Featuring GreenBytes' patented zero latency inline deduplication technology, vIO 4.0 was architected to enable OEMs to deliver cost effective, cloud-scale desktop virtualization. The GreenBytes vIO 4.0 virtual storage solution enables OEMs to quickly enter into the growing VDI market by creating customizable packages of high quality, ultra-performant, full-featured desktop virtualization solutions that are simple, easy to deploy, and scale from departmental to cloud, increasing customer time-to-value.
The vIO 4.0 diverts OS and swap disk activity away from primary storage (SAN) to high-speed flash, solving the performance and latency problems and poor user experience that occur during peak usage. By moving the virtual desktop datastores to the vIO, inconsistent performance and crippling congestion become a thing of the past. Deployed and ready to present storage locally or externally via iSCSI or NFS in less than five minutes, vIO-based OEM solutions can deliver persistent or non-persistent desktop images through their preferred desktop broker interface running on VMware hypervisors.
GreenBytes vIO 4.0 Features and Benefits Include:
- Optimized Deduplication Hashing Functions: The GreenBytes file system has modernized the ZFS platform, making significant improvements that increase performance and reliability. Compared to the generic ZFS hashing function, the vIO 4.0 platform provides up to 450% accelerated performance.
- Optimized Compression: Reducing the storage footprint is an essential requirement when planning for a large-scale VDI deployment. The GreenBytes vIO 4.0 provides ~50% faster compression rate, ~80% decompression rate, and ~10% better compression ratio over the previous version, which enables GreenBytes to reduce the storage required for virtual desktop initiatives by up to 98%.
- VDI Block Size Optimization: As the default cluster size for NTFS (New Technology File System) is 4K (up to 16TB volume), GreenBytes' vIO 4.0 improves deduplication performance by 50% by using a 4K block size to align with Windows VDI workloads, which results in superior storage efficiency and a better user experience. Alternative technologies that use larger block sizes are unable to achieve the same level of deduplication percentages, which increases the storage cost.
- LUN-Based QOS (Quality of Service): Virtual desktop storage I/O varies widely based on user activity. Keeping storage I/O at levels that ensure all users are happy means being able to control the so-called "noisy neighbor" problem. The vIO 4.0 allows administrators to set a quota to limit the number of writes per second on a per LUN basis, which enables IT managers to control the impact that client VMs might have on each other, enabling a predictable user experience.
- Improved SNMP Reporting: The health of any mission-critical data center ingredient needs visibility to system administrators. The vIO 4.0 now features an expanded use of the SNMP interface to enable integration into third party dashboards, or via GreenBytes' packaged monitoring virtual machine. Updates include expanded pool/LUN/network reporting, sending traps for error conditions, and a downloadable, preconfigured monitoring virtual machine console.
- NFS VAAI (VMware vStorage API for Array Integration): To achieve higher speed cloning of virtual machine images, which translates to faster time to deploy, GreenBytes leverages a feature in the VMware ESX hypervisor called VAAI. This feature enables cloning locally on the vIO instead of copying the data over the network, resulting in a 2x increase in cloning speed, as well as decreasing traffic on the network.
GreenBytes' vIO 4.0 is cloud-scalable and can size to any desktop virtualization environment by deploying multiple vIO instances. A single vIO is designed to provide I/O offload for 100 or more persistent or non-persistent virtual desktops. Customers can also utilize the pre-configured IO Offload Engine hardware appliance that supports from 100 to 2,000+ persistent or non-persistent virtual desktops over 10GbE iSCSI or 8 or 16Gb Fibre Channel.
The GreenBytes vIO 4.0 virtual storage solution for desktop virtualization is available immediately. For more information, please visit the vIO page on the GreenBytes website. GreenBytes is currently demonstrating vIO 4.0 at VMworld, Booth 735, at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA, August 25-28, 2013.
Jim Zakzeski, Vice President, Sales and Marketing, ClearCube Technology
"The storage capabilities that the GreenBytes solution provides are leading edge; cutting through all the hype and white-noise in the VDI storage marketplace with break-through performance. The practical benefits from GreenBytes' patented deduplication efficiency are profound and significantly impact the economics of the storage component of VDI deployments to the tune of 15:1 cost savings, making persistent full clones very attractive."
Ben Woo, Managing Director, Neuralytix, a Leading IT Market Research Firm
"GreenBytes' vIO 4.0 virtual storage solution for OEMs and service providers addresses the challenges associated with storage for virtual desktop environments. Beyond all other measures, time-to-market is the key metric for OEMs and service providers. They need to deliver high performance packaged persistent or non-persistent virtual desktop solutions. GreenBytes' patented zero latency inline deduplication technology does just that while minimizing the cost and allowing OEMs and service providers to maximize margin."
Michael Richtberg, Vice President, Product Management, GreenBytes
"GreenBytes plugs in a critical fuse for the successful fulfillment of the VDI user experience. Achieving the elusive combination of cost, performance and getting users what they want in the virtual 'personal' computing era of cloud-based offerings is a long-awaited industry achievement that I am pleased to announce we have reached with our vIO 4.0 release."
About GreenBytes, Inc.
GreenBytes delivers patented IO-Offload desktop virtualization storage optimization software that maximizes the effective performance and capacity of existing infrastructure to provide persistent, full-featured virtual desktops with the manageability, scalability and affordability required for cloud-scale VDI deployments. GreenBytes was founded in 2007 and is based in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. For more information, please visit www.getgreenbytes.com.
GreenBytes and the GreenBytes logo are registered trademarks of GreenBytes, Inc. All other product names and trademarks are the property of their respective firms.