SOURCE: Hannah the Pet Society

Hannah the Pet Society

January 14, 2016 12:00 ET

Hannah the Pet Society Urges Pet Owners to Take Precautions Ahead of Super Bowl Parties After Beaverton Dog's Emergency Surgery

PORTLAND, OR--(Marketwired - Jan 14, 2016) - Hannah the Pet Society is urging pet owners to take precautions ahead of Super Bowl parties after a close call for a family in the Beaverton area.

Amber and Eric Dinovo's 7.5-year-old boxer, Bruno, became very sick the day after Christmas.

It turns out the family dog had helped himself to leftovers of a turkey carcass from the family's holiday dinner -- bones and all. When they brought him to the veterinarian at Hannah the Pet Society, a radiograph showed Bruno's stomach was full of turkey and bones. While he vomited up turkey meat, the bones weren't coming up, and so an emergency surgery was done to help him.

Luckily Bruno was able to go home after his weekend at a Hannah the Pet Society veterinary clinic in Portland, but his story serves as a reminder for all dog and cat owners to be careful about what foods their pets can access at parties, such as those now being planned ahead of the 2016 Super Bowl.

Since Bruno's holiday incident, Eric Dinovo said the family has bought a different garbage can, one that fits under the sink so the dog can't get in the trash.

Dinovo also gave credit to Hannah the Pet Society, which offers services similar to pet insurance, but whose packages cover not only vet visits but also pet supplies and obedience classes for puppies and dogs.

Because of Hannah the Pet Society, the Dinovos didn't have any out-of-pocket costs for Bruno's surgery, which otherwise could have been very expensive.

"I'm just glad he's still here, that he survived," Eric Dinovo said. "He was our Christmas miracle."

Amber Dinovo added that Bruno, a rescue dog the family adopted about two years ago, has recovered and is back to his normal self as of January.

Pets frequently try to feast on garbage during holiday get-togethers and parties, and it's important to remember that Super Bowl snacks and treats for people can be dangerous for dogs and cats. Hannah the Pet Society offers the following tips to keep in mind on game day:

  • Keep pets away from people food. Put the chip bowls in high places, and don't feed pets table scraps or let them have chicken bones, which can splinter when chewed. Make sure to keep them away from the trash, which could also be filled with foods that might make your dog or cat sick.
  • If you're throwing a party with decorations, make sure balloons, streamers and other party décor stay out of reach. Otherwise pets might eat them, and that could lead to an emergency trip to the vet.
  • Make sure your pets have a quiet place to retreat if they want to escape from the noise of the party.

About Hannah the Pet Society
Hannah the Pet Society opened in 2010 with a mission to improve people-pet relationships and reduce the number of animals who are abandoned or relinquished to shelters.

The company offers a service called the Total Lifetime Care & Companionship (TLC) Plan, an all-inclusive program including veterinary care, food and supplies, obedience training and support for a set fee. The TLC Plan is available to anyone who has already adopted a dog, cat, guinea pig or rabbit or who receives a pet through Hannah's Lifetime Matching Program.

The company also provides ongoing donations to the shelters and nonprofit animal welfare organizations for dogs and cats adopted through their facilities. Hannah the Pet Society's placement centers are located in Clackamas Town Center and Washington Square, and the company's health and education facilities are in Southeast Portland and Tigard. For more information, please visit

Contact Information