CONCORD, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Aug. 20, 2012) - The 2013 Harley-Davidson® CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle is muscle in motion. This new, limited-production Softail® model from Harley-Davidson® Custom Vehicle Operations™ combines the unrelenting power of the Twin Cam 110B™ engine with a level of custom detailing that is unmatched on a production motorcycle. Curbside, the Breakout™ motorcycle rests with a proud rake and dazzling finish. On the road, the CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle is a chrome-plated fist punching the air with each twist of the throttle.
Harley-Davidson® CVO™ motorcycles are customized using exclusive components and paint treatments combined with numerous items from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories. The CVO™ Program is often used to introduce new custom components and techniques before they are offered as individual accessories.
The Breakout™ motorcycle is intended to project a tough attitude, according to Harley-Davidson Motor Company Styling Manager, Kirk Rasmussen.
"We begin by stripping the bike down to the bones and building up from there," said Rasmussen. "Stylist, Mark Daniels, penned a tough-looking hot rod concept and we were off to the races. To create a compact, muscular profile we've chopped the fenders to the legal limit so more tire rubber is revealed at both ends of the bike. The same principle is applied to the console, where we shaved it down and used braided steel lines for vent tubes. This gives us a larger canvas for paint and finishes, an essential element of the CVO™ formula."
The CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle's story begins with its Twin Cam 110B™ engine, a 110-cid V-Twin that pumps out 112 ft. lbs. of peak torque to give the CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle the best power-to-weight ratio of any current CVO™ model. The CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle takes production motorcycle paint to a new level of true customization. Two paint schemes feature hand-polished steel sections on the fuel tank and fenders. A third paint option incorporates hand-laid lace stenciling. The amount of manual finishing required to create these painted parts makes each set of bodywork unique.
New polished chrome Turbine wheels are another styling highlight to debut on the CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle. "We gave the Turbine wheel a good deal of drama by pulling the spoke ridges all the way through to the rim, which help make the wheel diameter look larger," said Rasmussen. "The front wheel has 21 spokes. I think the ridges on the rear wheel look a little scary. The dramatic diameter of the 21-inch front wheel with a 130-mm tire and the 18-inch rear wheel with a 240-mm tire give the bike a strong proportional foundation."
Other custom details introduced on the CVO™ Breakout™ motorcycle include a wide front end with a mini headlamp nacelle, and a chromed cast-aluminum oil tank. The Softail® chassis mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails. Electronic cruise control, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), keyless ignition, and the Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System are standard equipment on the CVO™ Breakout™ model.
Key CVO™ Breakout™ Model Custom Features
- The Screamin' Eagle® Twin Cam 110B™ engine with 110 cid (1,803 cc), counter-balanced and rigid-mounted within the frame, is rated at 112 ft. lbs. of torque at 3 500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive™ transmission.
- The Assist & Slip Clutch Pack provides a slip feature on downshifts to reduce loading of the driveline and improve shift feel, while a new internal design doubles the life of the clutch pack in test cycles. Hydraulic clutch actuation has been updated to reduce lever effort; peak force required is reduced by 10 percent and hold-in force is reduced by 17 percent. Finally, a new clutch lever shape reduces reach and optimizes lever control.
- The CVO™ Breakout™ model will be offered in three dramatic custom-colour schemes, each with a Granite powder coat and chrome powertrain.
Black Diamond and Molten Silver with Crushed Slate graphics. This combination features polished steel areas on the fuel tank and fenders that require 10 hand-sanding passes, beginning with 150 grit and finishing with 3,000 grit, and a three-step final-polishing treatment. This process produces a high-lustre finish with intentional hand-worked marks that make each part unique. The colour elements are then applied, followed by coats of candy and standard clear that let the polished steel shine through. This colour is paired with a black-leather seat.
Hard Candy Gold Dust and Liquid Sun with Pagan Gold graphics. This paint set also features polished-steel sections on the fuel tank and fenders, but the candy clear coat is tinted to give the polished areas the gleaming Liquid Sun tone. Gold Dust is created by applying large metal flake over a black base, and finishing it with the tinted clear coat. This colour is paired with a black-leather seat.
Crimson Red Sunglo and Scarlet Lace with Hammered Sterling graphics. To create a graphic effect on the lower portions of the fuel tank and fenders, Black Candy is sprayed through lace fabric placed over a Silver base colour, and finished with a layer of Scarlet Candy. Because the lace is applied by hand, no two painted parts will have the same exact pattern. This colour is paired with a rich, brown-leather seat.
- Turbine wheels with matching brake discs and drive sprocket are highly polished and chrome plated.
- Front and rear fenders are each chopped to the legal limit of tire coverage. The front fender location and bracket are specific to the CVO™ Breakout™ model. The rear fender is shaped and positioned to fit as close as possible to the 240-mm tire.
- One-piece forged aluminum rear fender supports are highly polished. The fender supports and chopped rear fender are four pounds lighter than the forged steel supports and covers used on other Harley-Davidson® Softail® models.
- The wide front end spreads the forks approximately 1.75 inches wider than previous FX Softail® models to allow fitment of a 130-mm front tire. The entire front end assembly is chrome plated, including the nacelle and headlamp bucket.
- The low-profile console tops a five-gallon fuel tank with a strip of brilliant chrome. Two elbow outlets and braided stainless steel lines exit forward from the top of the console to accommodate the tank vent.
- The single-rib cast-aluminum oil tank is polished and finished in chrome.
- The leather seat and pillion in black or brown leather is accented with an embossed horn-back gator hide pattern. The seat and pillion are shaped to provide good lower-back support for the rider. The pillion may be removed without tools to fully expose the paint on the rear fender.
- The chrome handlebar offers a neutral rider position and is internally-wired for a clean look. The integrated chrome riser incorporates a mount for the four-inch combination digital speedometer/analogue tachometer and LED indicators, which are positioned below the riser.
- The Customer care package includes an indoor/outdoor storage cover with the CVO™ logo, tool kit, microfibre detail cloth and H-D® jiffy stand coaster.
About Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada
Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories, and MotorClothes® apparel, which are provided through a national network of authorized Harley-Davidson® Retailers. Office and distribution warehouse facilities are located in Richmond, British Columbia, and Concord, Ontario. Please visit www.harleycanada.com for further information on Harley-Davidson® products in Canada.