HUMBOLDT, SASKATCHEWAN--(Marketwired - April 11, 2014) - Western Economic Diversification Canada
Agricultural machinery and heavy equipment manufacturers across Western Canada will benefit from improved testing capacity of their innovative product designs, thanks to a $2.5 million investment from Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD). Western Canada Testing Inc.'s (Westest) facility in Humboldt is modernizing its equipment and purchasing new equipment to improve its engineering and development assessment capacity for industrial manufacturers.
In order to remain globally competitive, Canadian manufacturers are expanding their ability to customize mass production, increasing their flexibility to serve higher-margin niche markets and optimize new product development. Manufacturers are commercializing technology innovations and assembly-process improvements which create more jobs and greater economic prosperity.
The increased testing capabilities at Westest will complement the capital investments that individual manufacturers are making in their own research and development (R&D) projects. Westest conducts neutral, third-party tests to assess prototypes of manufacturers' new and improved products or processes. An International Organization for Standardization-registered organization, Westest provides manufacturers with testing services which aren't otherwise commercially available, or economically feasible, for manufacturers to use.
Westest estimates that the modernization of its equipment will enable its clients to generate $10 million in sales of newly commercialized products within three years.
- Westest's upgraded facility will include testing labs for Precision Farming, Mechatronics, Terra Mechanics, Spray Technology, and Extreme Temperature Chambers.
- Saskatchewan's manufacturing sector employs more than 27,000 people and contributed over $15 billion to the economy last year. Nationally, manufacturing accounts for 1.7 million Canadian jobs and more than $168 billion in GDP.
- Over 90% of all patents commercialized in Canada are developed by manufacturing firms.
"Our Government's targeted investments for R&D are helping Western Canadian manufacturers succeed in the global economy. Spurring innovation and growth in Canada's manufacturing sector delivers new export opportunities that create jobs and economic prosperity."
- The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification.
"Westest is excited to have our testing and development facilities expanded and updated through the support of Western Economic Diversification Canada. This will help our manufacturing clients fast track their innovative ideas into advanced product opportunities, thus strengthening the overall industry."
- Jim Wassermann, Vice President, Saskatchewan Operations, Westest
- Westest - Innovative Testing for Industry: http://www.westest.ca/index.html
PAMI achieves Standards Council of Canada accreditation (ISO): http://www.wd-deo.gc.ca/eng/77_11258.asp
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
The West Means Business.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.