SPROAT LAKE, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - Sept. 8, 2014) - Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, Cathy McLeod, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Labour and for Western Economic Diversification, and Member of Parliament for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced $183,703 in federal funding under the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF) in support of five infrastructure projects - four on Vancouver Island, and one on Gabriola Island.
In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. Our Government committed $150 million over two years for the Fund. The Fund supported projects that aimed to improve existing community infrastructure accessible for use by the public, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, and further community and cultural facilities.
- The federal funding enabled the Maple Bay Community Association to improve community signage in the Municipality of North Cowichan.
- The improvements made to Cougar Smith Community Park include the rehabilitation of the tennis court and baseball field.
- Replacing the Nile Creek water supply line assisted the Nile Creek Enhancement Society in enhancing and protecting fresh water and marine habitats.
- The building that houses the Gabriola Commons Foundation community kitchen was previously a cheese factory.
- The Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue area includes more than 29,500 square kilometres of coastline. Federal funding was used to upgrade the organization's training centre in Sooke.
"Our Government is pleased to announce its support for so many great projects on Vancouver Island. Families and communities across the Island will benefit from these projects, which will result in a lasting legacy of modernized facilities for future generations."
- Cathy McLeod, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Labour and for Western Economic Diversification
"The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District and the Sproat Lake Parks Commission would like to sincerely thank the Government of Canada for this funding. Improving the infrastructure at Cougar Smith Park will provide a safer and greener local recreational venue for community residents and visitors of all ages and abilities. This will allow local teams and individuals to utilize the improved field and tennis court for sporting events and personal health within the community."
- Cindy Solda, Chair, Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District
Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund
Through the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF), the Harper Government has committed to creating jobs and supporting communities through repairs and improvements to existing community facilities. Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is delivering the Fund in Western Canada with an allocation of $46.2 million over two years.
Five CIIF projects have been funded - four on Vancouver Island and one on Gabriola Island.
||Federal Contribution (CIIF)
|Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue
||The recipient upgraded the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue training centre in Sooke, BC, improving energy efficiency and building accessibility.
|Gabriola Commons Foundation
||The recipient renovated a former factory into a community kitchen, making improvements to both the interior and exterior of the building.
|Maple Bay Community Association
||The recipient upgraded Maple Bay community signage in the Municipality of North Cowichan
|Nile Creek Enhancement Society
||The recipient upgraded the Nile Creek water supply line in Bowser, BC, replacing the intake infrastructure from the creek.
|Regional District of Alberni-Clayoquot
||The recipient upgraded the Cougar Smith Community Park tennis court and baseball field in Port Alberni, BC
More information on the delivery of the Fund in each region is available by contacting each regional development agency. In Western Canada, please visit www.wd-deo.gc.ca for further details.
- Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District: http://www.acrd.bc.ca/
- Gabriola Commons Foundation: http://www.gabriolacommons.ca/
- Maple Bay Community Association: http://maplebaynews.blogspot.ca/
- Nile Creek Enhancement Society: http://nilecreek.org/
- Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue: http://ccga-pacific.org/
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
The West Means Business.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.