OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 28, 2014) - The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec, on behalf of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, today announced that the Government of Canada has invested approximately $340,000 in the following projects:
- The installation of floating wharves at Matane to ease operations and provide users with additional mooring space.
- The provision of electrical service units to a section of the facility at Cap-aux-Meules.
- The beginning of dredging at harbours in the Magdalen Islands to ensure that fishing activities can safely take place during the fishing season.
This funding is in addition to the $10.6 million announced on September 3, 2013 for projects at small craft harbours in Quebec, which included 14 major harbour projects.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada's Small Craft Harbours Program is a nationwide program mandated to keep the harbours that are critical to the fishing industry open and in good repair.
- The Small Craft Harbours Program is responsible for over 1,000 small craft harbours across Canada.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada undertakes projects at harbours in cooperation with the local Harbour Authorities that manage and operate facilities for local users.
"Our Government understands the importance of investing in small craft harbours, which are vital to coastal communities. Projects at small craft harbours ensure that these facilities continue to meet the needs of the commercial fishing industry and stimulate local economies."
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
"This investment demonstrates our Government's commitment to supporting Quebec's coastal communities and fishing industry. The projects announced today will ensure that small craft harbours in Quebec are in safe and efficient operating condition".
The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
Backgrounder on Small Craft Harbours Funding
News Release on Small Craft Harbours Funding for Quebec in 2013
On Small Craft Harbours
Follow us on Twitter! www.Twitter.com/DFO_MPO