REGINA, SASKATCHEWAN--(Marketwired - Dec. 6, 2013) - The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, joined First Nations Power Authority of Saskatchewan Inc. (FNPA) at the Saskatchewan Science Centre today to announce $300,000 to develop, demonstrate and commercialize innovative and economically viable off-grid, renewable power generation.
Federal funding will be used to purchase equipment for small-scale demonstration projects, including solar photovoltaic technology, waste heat recovery, solar and microgrid systems, and a grid support initiative for regions that experience higher than average power outages.
FNPA will partner with multiple First Nations and private industry to develop new technologies for reliable energy sources that will improve business productivity and support community sustainability in remote areas.
- FNPA is a not-for-profit entity funded by Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada's (AANDC) Strategic Partnership Initiative and in part by membership fees from First Nations and industry.
- The organization was created to develop First Nations-led projects in Saskatchewan's power industry, providing First Nations' members with financial returns, expertise, employment and business opportunities.
- The first project planned is a solar photovoltaics demonstration in partnership with FHQ Developments, the economic development corporation of the File Hills Qu'Appelle Tribal Council, and Lockheed Martin Canada.
"This project will result in exciting new technologies that provide a reliable energy source to rural and First Nations communities, as well as remote forestry and mining operations."
- Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification
"Our membership is keenly interested in matching business opportunities with energy needs and using innovation and new technology to get there. WD's support will enable us to better understand how these systems can provide important infrastructure to improve the quality of life and economic development opportunities for First Nations."
- Ben Voss, Board Chair, First Nations Power Authority of Saskatchewan Inc.
- First Nations Power Authority of Saskatchewan Inc.: http://www.fnpa.ca/
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
The West Means Business.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.