OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Aug. 25, 2014) - Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Canadian livestock producers will benefit from more export opportunities in the Americas. Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz and Minister of International Trade Ed Fast announced today that Jamaica has approved all imports of beef from Canada.
Effective immediately, Canadian producers can export beef to Jamaica, with full access now restored after the closure of this market in 2003 due to BSE. Canada Beef Inc. estimates that the Jamaican market for Canadian beef is annually worth roughly $4.5 million, or 1.5 million pounds of beef.
Access to the Jamaican market aligns with the Government's trade expansion goals in the Americas and is the result of its ongoing efforts to create new export opportunities for Canadian producers, while also growing prosperity in the Americas.
- Jamaica is Canada's second largest market for agricultural exports within the Caribbean region, only after Cuba, with 2013 agricultural exports to Jamaica totalling $54 million.
- Canada's top agricultural exports to the Jamaican market include non durum wheat, frozen french fries, whey, pig fat and skim milk powder.
- In 2013, Jamaica was Canada's sixth largest merchandise export market among the Caribbean countries (after Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, the Bahamas, Barbados and the Dominican Republic).
"Our Government continues to work with industry to open new markets to increase exports of our top-class beef. This new access gives Canadian producers another vibrant market for their product, increasing their competitiveness and growing our overall economy."
- Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz
"Our Government is working relentlessly to create the best environment for Canadian producers and exporters to succeed abroad. Opening markets for Canadian products creates jobs and prosperity right here at home."
- Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade
"This achievement is yet another example of the attention and efforts our federal government has undertaken to pave the way for export market returns", said Rob Meijer, President, Canada Beef Inc. "Unfettered access to export markets provides Canadian beef and veal producers and industry a bright and prosperous future."
- Rob Meijer, Canada Beef Inc.