GUELPH, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 18, 2014) - Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz today announced an investment of $4 million to the Canadian Poultry Research Council (CPRC) to further strengthen the poultry industry's role within the Canadian agri-food sector.
The research will focus on helping the poultry processing industry remain competitive, while addressing consumer concerns about poultry welfare and environmental preservation. This will include developing new vaccines, reducing the environmental footprint of poultry farms and providing poultry farmers access to high-calibre training opportunities.
While industry leadership and investment are key to the success of this cluster, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's (AAFC) researchers will collaborate in priority areas, including developing viable alternatives to the use of dietary antibiotics in chicken production.
- CPRC was formed in 2001 to provide poultry industry research funding on behalf of its five members: Chicken Farmers of Canada, Canadian Hatching Egg Producers, Canadian Poultry and Egg Processors Council, Egg Farmers of Canada and Turkey Farmers of Canada.
- In 2012, Canada produced poultry products worth $3.8 billion.
- This investment builds on research funding previously received through AAFC's Canadian Agri-Science Clusters Initiative as part of Growing Forward.
- This investment is made through the Industry-led Research and Development stream of AAFC's AgriInnovation Program, a five-year, up to $698-million initiative under Growing Forward 2.
The Canadian poultry industry is a key contributor to Canadian agriculture and our overall economy. Collaborative research investments such as these advance the sustainable production and profitability of the Canadian poultry industry, while further improving animal health.
- Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz
Canada's poultry industry has made embracing innovation part of the industry's vision in recognition of the need to be dynamic and to foster efficiency for farmers and our industry partners. This announcement of funding for a second Poultry Science Cluster is a substantial contribution to the sector's future. It will enable researchers to find more immediate answers to industry issues and to provide important information to farmers, stakeholders and consumers.
- Roelef Meijer, Chair, Canadian Poultry Research Council
Growing Forward 2 (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
AgriInnovation Program (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Canadian Poultry Research Council