SIDNEY, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - April 17, 2014) - Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, the Honourable John Duncan, Minister of State and Chief Government Whip, and Member of Parliament for Vancouver Island North on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced $141,208 in support of the infrastructure project at Beacon Wharf in Sidney under the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
In Economic Action Plan 2012, our Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. The Fund supports projects that look to improve existing community infrastructure accessibility for use by the public, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, culture and other community facilities.
- The Beacon Wharf has been upgraded with new piles, structural timbers, braces and decking. These improvements have made the wharf safe and secure for use by the members of the community.
- The project was completed in June 2013.
- The Beacon Wharf is one of the oldest wharfs in the area.
- The wharf is located at the foot of Beacon Avenue and is home to the iconic Blue Fish Market and Sidney Pier Bistro restaurant.
"Our Government is pleased today to announce its support for Sidney's Beacon Wharf. Families and communities will benefit from these projects, which have boosted economic activity, leaving a lasting legacy of modernized community facilities for future generations."
- John Duncan, Minister of State and Chief Government Whip
"On behalf of the Town of Sidney, I would like to thank the Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification and the Government of Canada for the retroactive Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund grant that enabled the Town to make necessary repairs to Beacon Wharf, bringing it up to safe standards. Waterfront infrastructure is always very costly to maintain, so any assistance municipalities receive from other levels of government is very much appreciated."
- Mayor Larry Cross, Town of Sidney
- Town of Sidney: http://www.sidney.ca/
- Western Economic Diversification Canada: http://www.wd-deo.gc.ca
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
The West Means Business.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.