NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - May 16, 2014) - In a commencement week speech, Marian Salzman, the global trendspotter who popularized "metrosexual" and most recently has written about the rise of conscientious capitalism, shared insights and trends with Eller College of Management marketing students to help guide their personal brands as they graduate.
Salzman first related stories from her career, including her work with Chiat/Day on Apple's "Think Different" campaign and her early adoption of all things Internet from a temporary home base of The Netherlands.
Then she offered advice for students to make their own "think different" journey, in the form of five trends:
- Have a sense of place. "If you can be a pioneer and realize the power of work in the cloud, you can find your very own place and build a community of like-minded people who embrace the power of change."
- Don't follow the pack. "It's tempting to fall in line when you leave school, to take the path most traveled. That's great for some, but if you like to zag when everyone else is zigging, embrace that."
- Know that chaos can be good. Even great. "If you embrace the power of change, you've got to be ready for chaos -- from having a late-night inspiration to finding a way to fight off insomnia while you enter yet another time zone."
- Reinvent work. "I have great hope that your generation, now well past being digital natives, will show us how it's done, with courting and flirting of many opportunities along the way."
- Practice compassion. "As you pave the way for the next generation, practice compassion in everything you do -- from the way you treat people at work to a lifelong dedication to always giving back."
For more information about Salzman, visit mariansalzman.com and us.havaspr.com.
About Havas PR North America
Headquartered in New York City, Havas PR North America, part of the Havas PR Collective (networked, not a network), is one of the most awarded agencies of its size in the U.S. For more information, go to us.havaspr.com.