Canada Border Services Agency

Canada Border Services Agency

August 01, 2012 09:00 ET

Higher Traveller Volumes Expected at the Border This Civic Holiday Long Weekend

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Aug. 1, 2012) - The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has several tips to help make your border crossing smoother this long weekend. As higher traveller volumes are expected, the CBSA recommends that you plan ahead to avoid longer border wait times at some ports of entry.

The CBSA is committed to providing the best possible service, and all ports of entry will be appropriately staffed to meet this expected increase in traffic. Travellers can help by preparing ahead and knowing what to expect before arriving at the border. The following are some helpful tips to those travelling this weekend:

-- All adults and children who are travelling must have proper identification. Children under the age of 16 can present an original or copy of their birth certificate. If travelling with children, have their identification ready to show (picture ID, birth certificate, passport, etc.) and a letter of permission for any child who is travelling without their parents or with a non-custodial parent.

-- Use your NEXUS card and save time at land, air and marine ports of entry when entering Canada or the United States. Visit for more information or to apply for a membership.

-- A passport is the preferable piece of identification for entry into Canada. Other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's licence, a birth certificate with accompanying photo ID such as a regular driver's licence, a permanent resident card, a citizenship card or a certificate of Indian Status, a NEXUS card or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card when travelling by land or boat.

-- Certain goods are prohibited from entering Canada, including some food, plant and animal products. Consult the I Declare brochure before you leave.

-- Declare all money or monetary instruments equal to or over CAN$10,000.

-- Prior to arriving in Canada by air, all travellers are provided with a Declaration form (Form E311). Be sure to fill it out accurately and keep it in an accessible place until a border services officer asks you for it.

-- Try to plan your arrival in Canada in advance. Avoid crossing during peak travel times and consider using other available ports of entry in the area.

-- Border wait times for land borders are available at, or follow us on Twitter for hourly border wait time updates at BWT_CBSA.

Reporting Requirements for Private Boaters

The CBSA has modernized its reporting requirements for pleasure craft entering Canadian waters, in an effort to make it easier for private boaters to comply with reporting requirements.

For information on cell phone reporting for private boaters, visit

The CBSA strives to provide the best and most efficient service possible while maintaining the security and prosperity of Canada. If travellers have questions about their interactions with border services officers, they are encouraged to speak to a CBSA superintendent, who can address their questions or concerns at that time. Alternatively, travellers can visit the CBSA Web site and fill out an electronic feedback form, where they can voice comments, complaints and compliments.

Follow us on Twitter (@CanBorder), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.

Contact Information

  • Headquarters:
    Media line

    Pacific Region:
    Faith St. John

    Prairie Region:
    Lisa White

    Greater Toronto Area Region:
    Media Line

    Northern Ontario Region:
    Caroline Desjarlais

    Southern Ontario Region:
    Jean D'AmelioSwyer
    905-354-2011 or 519-967-4330

    Quebec Region:
    Media Line

    Atlantic Region:
    Media Line