SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - May 16, 2013) - With the summer travel season just around the corner, Hipmunk, the fastest, easiest travel site, today revealed strong demand for international travel this summer. According to a survey conducted by Hipmunk, 60 percent of respondents said a trip to Europe is their dream vacation, but only 14 percent of respondents are actually planning an international trip this summer. However, as the demand for international travel increases, so does the price. Hipmunk found that on average, roundtrip international airfare is up 12 percent this year over last.
The good news is travelers don't have to miss out on their summer getaway this year. Hipmunk also found that on average, domestic airfare is down five percent to some of the most popular destinations across the country.
"This study shows there is a significant gap between the trips Americans would like to make this summer and the ones they have already planned," said Adam Goldstein, CEO of Hipmunk. "At Hipmunk, we want to make sure that everyone has the tools and information they need to make their dream vacation possible."
In order to help summer travelers plan their summer vacation, Hipmunk researched average flight prices from the top 50 U.S. airports to several domestic and international destinations and found the top 10 flight deals for this summer along with helpful tips to save more this summer.
- Istanbul is the cheapest destination for travelers looking to head into Europe this summer with an average round-trip price of $1181 during the summer season;
- May is the cheapest month to visit several European destinations, including Istanbul, Madrid, Rome, and Prague;
- Need some more time to plan your Europe trip? Paris and Amsterdam have the best roundtrip deals in August, with average roundtrip flights costing $1769 and $1852, respectively;
- Flying to Maui instead of Honolulu will save you an average of $57 during the summer season;
- Looking to spend your summer vacation in Florida? Book your flight to Fort Lauderdale, which has the cheapest average roundtrip flights compared to Miami and West Palm Beach.
- Know where to stay - Apartment and home rentals often have cheaper rates and give you more privacy compared to large hotels;
Top 10 Flight Deals: To help travelers looking to cut down on their summer vacation costs, Hipmunk compared average flight prices from 2012 to 2013 and found the top five domestic and international flight deals for this year:
- Top Five Domestic Deals
- Fort Lauderdale: average round-trip cost of $290
- Las Vegas: average round-trip cost of $428
- New York: average round-trip cost of $433
- Los Angeles: average round-trip cost of $445
- Washington D.C.: average round-trip cost of $466
- Top Five International Deals
- Istanbul: average round-trip cost of $1181
- Madrid: average round-trip cost of $1297
- London: average round-trip cost of $1491
- Prague: average round-trip cost of $1574
- Rome: average round-trip cost of $1660
- Fort Lauderdale
- Washington D.C.
- Los Angeles
- Fort Lauderdale
- Las Vegas
- New York
Beat the rush and book your dream summer vacation now by visiting www.hipmunk.com, or download the Hipmunk Flight and Hotel App for free at the App Store and Google Play.
Hipmunk is the fastest, easiest way to search for flights and hotels. The site and mobile apps save you time by comparing top travel sites so you don't have to. The unique display makes it easy to visually compare results to choose what's best for you. Hipmunk offers the most comprehensive travel search, bringing in more travel options from commercial flights to trains to charter flights and more accommodations from large hotels to home and apartment rentals through Airbnb and HomeAway.