OTTAWA, ONTARIO and CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - June 20, 2016) - The use and misuse of opioids, medically assisted dying, and improving immunization rates are among the hard-hitting topics to be addressed at this month's Canadian Pharmacists Conference, jointly presented by the Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA) and the Alberta Pharmacists' Association (RxA).
Highlighting Canada's position as a world leader in advanced pharmacy practice, the conference theme is aptly titled The Future is Here, which is particularly relevant to the province of Alberta where pharmacists have the broadest scope of practice anywhere in Canada. Both this year's theme and location reflect the continuously growing role of pharmacists in relation to patient care and improving health outcomes for Canadians.
"The conference program has been designed to showcase innovative pharmacy leaders and provide delegates with learning opportunities on the critical topics facing our health care system today," said Carlo Berardi, Chair, Canadian Pharmacists Association. "Speakers and conference sessions will tackle a diverse range of key subjects and highlight the growing opportunities for advanced pharmacy practice across the country."
Among the topics to be addressed at the conference:
- Assisted Dying - The issue of medical assistance in dying has been a hotly debated topic within the healthcare community and with the general public. Participants will hear from panelists who will explore issues that are particularly relevant to the profession, including practice, legal and ethical considerations.
- Medical Marijuana - In an environment with a changing regulatory framework, medical marijuana is a topic of increasing significance in Canada. This session will address various issues related to the pharmacology of medical marijuana to enhance pharmacists' understanding and ability to respond to related queries.
- Opioid Addiction and Inappropriate Use - As media attention on opioid use and addiction continues, pharmacists are among those who are often consulted on this widely discussed issue. This session is aimed to equip pharmacists with the most up-to-date information on opioids.
"This year's conference is truly a reflection of changing times as it not only explores relevant topics, but also presents new platforms and formats that will enable delegates to identify and apply best practices and lessons from dozens of top health care leaders," said Jimy Mathews, President, Alberta Pharmacists' Association. "The conference will certainly go a long way in sharing valuable information that will ultimately benefit the patients who turn to their pharmacists for health care services and advice each and every day across Canada."
The conference will be held in Calgary, Alberta from June 24-27, 2016 and will feature more than 50 sessions during the four-day period. The conference will welcome keynote speaker Chris Hadfield, first Canadian commander of the International Space Station, and Michele Romanov, Canadian tech entrepreneur and the newest member of CBC's Dragon's Den panel. This year, live streaming of the keynote sessions and several CE sessions will be available for viewing. Visit www.pharmacists.ca/conference for more details about the Canadian Pharmacists Conference.
About the Canadian Pharmacists Association
The Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA) is the uniting national voice of pharmacy and the pharmacist profession in Canada. As pharmacists undertake an enhanced role in the delivery of health care services, CPhA ensures that the profession is recognized as a national leader in health care, influencing the policies, programs, budgets and initiatives affecting the profession and the health of Canadians. More information is available at www.pharmacists.ca.
About the Alberta Pharmacists' Association
The Alberta Pharmacists' Association (RxA) promotes the value of pharmacists in supporting and advancing the health of Albertans. We…
- Advocate and advance the profession
- Engage stakeholders about the value of pharmacist services
- Advocate for appropriate compensation and recognition of pharmacists' contribution to healthcare
- Inspire excellence in the profession and pharmacist practice
- Support members by providing quality services and professional development
More information is available at www.rxa.ca.
Jointly hosted by Canadian Pharmacists Association and the Alberta Pharmacists' Association