April 16, 2014 08:00 ET
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 16, 2014) - The devastating fire that gutted the 135-year old Aurora United Church in Aurora, Ontario last week was a harsh reminder that vacant buildings and buildings under renovation are at increased risk for experiencing a fire loss. Fire Chief Ian Laing confirmed that the fire was caused by an open flame being used during the course of roof repairs. Colin Robertson, Vice-President Risk Control Services at Ecclesiastical Insurance, advises that "hot work" is often a common cause of ignition.
The term 'hot work' refers to work that produces an open flame, sparks, or any other likely ignition source. Welding, soldering, cutting and grinding, or activities involving the use of gases, flammable liquids, grinders and blowtorches, are considered hot work, and the risk of fire is heightened during these operations. To mitigate or reduce the potential for a fire loss resulting from hot work, it is recommended that a hot work protocol be implemented and adhered to and that the following steps be taken:
About Ecclesiastical Insurance
Working with brokers across Canada, Ecclesiastical Insurance provides customized insurance solutions to faith communities, educational institutions, retirement facilities, unique and heritage properties, cultural institutions, funeral services providers, registered charities and nonprofit organizations, as well as select commercial enterprises. Owned by a charitable trust, Ecclesiastical is committed to protecting those who enrich the lives of others. For more information visit www.ecclesiastical.ca.
For information about Ecclesiastical's specialized productsor Risk Control services, please contact:Colin RobertsonVice President, Risk Control(416) firstname.lastname@example.org
See all RSS Newsfeeds