SOURCE: City Auto

September 08, 2005 13:10 ET

Hurricane Victims' Hopes Riding on the Little Love Bug That Could

MEMPHIS, TN -- (MARKET WIRE) -- September 8, 2005 -- City Auto in Memphis, TN, is auctioning a replica of Herbie the Love Bug on eBay to raise funds for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. 70% of profits will go directly to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund; the other 30% will go to Agape Child & Family Services of the Mid-South, a non-profit organization providing foster care for thousands of children displaced by the hurricane, and counseling services for the hundreds of families seeking refuge in Memphis.

The auction began at 9PM on Saturday, September 3rd, and will run until 7PM (CST) on Tuesday, September 13th. The 1960 Volkswagen rag-top beetle has a black vinyl interior and custom exterior paint; similar cars have sold on eBay for $8,000. Bidding began at $19.60, and has already soared to over $3,700, after 4,400 page views and 17 bids. The auction can be found at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-VW-BEETLE-HERBIE-THE-LOVE-BUG-CHARITY-AUCTION_W0QQitemZ4573257756QQcategoryZ6019QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or via a link on the CityAuto.com home page.

Stacey Day, of City Auto, came up with the idea to auction a Herbie replica as a way to help the victims of Katrina. "Herbie is a heroic little car that believed in others more than they believed in themselves," says Day. "It came into their lives when they were underdogs and gave them hope. We hope that this car will bring a little of that magic into the lives of Katrina's survivors." Day is also the man who commissioned the car's transformation and donated it for this worthy cause.

eBay has waived all fees on the Herbie auction, and will soon feature the sale on their homepage to help provide greater visibility.

The car is on display at the City Auto dealership at 4932 Elmore Rd. in Memphis, TN, just off Covington Pike. Results of the auction will be posted on the City Auto website, www.CityAuto.com.

Contact Information

  • For more information, contact:
    Stacy Day
    901-652-3127