SOURCE: Jiwa Law Corporation

Jiwa Law Corporation Logo

February 18, 2016 15:06 ET

ICBC Claims Lawyer Jiwa Law Corporation Explains the Hit and Run Claim

ICBC Claims Lawyer Says Anyone has the Right to Claim Compensation If They Are Involved in a Hit and Run

VANCOUVER, BC--(Marketwired - February 18, 2016) - The ICBC Claims Lawyers at Jiwa Law Corporation knows that being involved in a hit and run can be a puzzling situation. Even a regular accident is often disconcerting, but if you find yourself in a situation where the other party flees, don't worry. Anyone can seek compensation from ICBC. The latest blog published by the Jiwa Law Corporation on their corporate website explains the steps necessary to file a hit and run claim. For more information, go to:

ICBC can provide coverage up to a total of $200,000 for anyone injured, or whose property is damaged, by a hit and run in BC. If the hit and run occurs on a highway, it's important to note that it is not necessary for your vehicle to actually be hit. It may be your vehicle was simply cut off, resulting in a collision. However, if you are involved in a hit and run in the United States, compensation does require a physical hit from the other vehicle.

The blog briefly addresses Compensation Rights for Victims of Hit and Runs in BC as well as conditions covered. For example, the other driver must not be identifiable. This means that you have tried to take all reasonable steps to identify the driver or the vehicle. This includes attempting to get a license plate, name/address, etc.

The blog ends by reminding readers there are very important obligations and limitation periods that must be followed in the event of a hit and run. The following is a list of steps that are vital to the success of your claim:

  • Taking all steps possible to identify the driver of the responsible vehicle, such as their name, license plate number, description of the vehicle, description of driver, etc.
  • Calling the police to report the accident immediately if possible, and preferably within the first 24 hours. Providing the police with all the information you have regarding the other driver and vehicle, as well as the time and location of your accident.
  • Reporting your claim to ICBC by calling ICBC's Dial-a-Claim at 604-520-8222 in the Lower Mainland or 1-800-910-ICBC (4222) toll-free throughout the rest of BC
  • Providing written notice of the hit and run to ICBC as soon as you can and no later than six months after the accident. Failure to do so could result in your claim being denied.

Since many people in BC do not know their rights when it comes to hit and run claims, they often wait too long to speak to an ICBC Lawyer. If you or someone you know was injured in a hit and run accident, it's always best to seek advice from a professional who can help you understand your rights and obligations.

About the Company

As a team of personal injury lawyers in Vancouver, everyone at the Jiwa Law Corporation understands that getting hurt can have a huge impact on the way you live your life. Whether you are injured as a result of a motor vehicle crash or another type of accident, our team can help you understand the law and protect your rights. Advice is available in all languages, including Russian, Punjabi, Hindi, Gujarati, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Farsi.

For more information, please visit or call 604-568-9444 ext. 102

Contact Information