SOURCE: SBI

SBI

February 09, 2012 16:03 ET

Increased Regulations Fuel R&D in More Efficient Internal Combustion Engines

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - Feb 9, 2012) - For every gallon of gasoline that a car burns, only 20% or less of the energy in that gasoline is put towards doing useful work. The remaining 80% is dissipated as frictional losses, heat, uncombusted fuel, and other inefficiencies characteristic of conventional internal combustion engines (ICE).

Today, internal combustion engines are under scrutiny from environmental groups, energy and environmental strategists and lawmakers around the globe. As a result, regulations have been and are being enacted in the US and globally that limit or restrict the amount of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions permitted in power production, transportation, industrial, and other sectors where conventional ICEs are common, such as agriculture, propeller airplanes, water pumping and treatment, groundwater remediation, and more.

These tighter restrictions are presently driving a new heyday for research and development on the conventional ICE. The goal is to bring to market redesigned and more efficient ICEs. Efficient ICEs (EICEs) are increasingly being installed in automobiles, and deployed outside of the transportation/automotive sector. Increased fuel efficiency is applicable across diverse economic sectors and industries, ranging from the power generation industry to resource extraction and to heavy and light industry, according to Robert S. Eckard, analyst and author of "Fuel Efficient Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Technologies Worldwide," a new study just released by market research firm SBI Energy.

Eckard says, "Improvements in fuel efficiency across these sectors can, when properly implemented, drive reduced energy costs, which translate into widened profit margins, reductions in unit product costs, and greater ability to compete within a specified market."

SBI Energy projects significant growth in the global market for efficient ICE technologies through 2021. EICE markets in 2006 were valued at approximately $51 billion. The overall market exhibited a slowdown in growth as a result of the global economic downturn, but began a strong recovery trend starting in 2010. By 2011, the total global market reached an estimated $121 billion, equivalent to a CAGR of 19% over 5 years. By 2021, SBI Energy forecasts the total global market, inclusive of all technologies, will be equivalent to a CAGR of nearly 13% for the period 2012-2021.

"Fuel Efficient Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Technologies Worldwide" contains comprehensive data on the worldwide market for efficient ICE technologies. Historic (2006 to 2011 Q3) and forecasted (2011 Q4 to 2021) market size data are provided and the report identifies key trends affecting the marketplace, along with trends driving growth, and central challenges to further market development. The report also profiles leading startups and established manufacturers of fuel efficient ICEs.

About SBI Energy
SBI Energy, a division of MarketResearch.com, publishes research reports in the industrial, energy, building/construction, and automotive/transportation markets. SBI Energy also offers a full range of custom research services. To learn more, visit www.sbireports.com.

Contact Information