PHILADELPHIA, PA--(Marketwired - November 10, 2016) - Independence Blue Cross (Independence) announces a new hospital indemnity product from The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America® (Guardian) that is now available to Independence group customers with 25 or more employees. The supplemental health insurance plan is available now for plans starting January 1, 2017.
A report from the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that the cost of hospital stays in the U.S. has doubled over the last 15 years to an average of $2,200 per day, not including the cost of major procedures, ambulance fees, and other charges that may apply. As well, high deductible health plans have become more popular because of their lower premiums. But because these plans have higher out-of-pocket costs, they can be difficult for employees to manage, especially when an illness or injury leads to a hospital stay.
With Guardian's Hospital Indemnity plan, Independence customers now have a way to lessen their employees' financial burden. The plan helps give employees and their families an extra level of security and financial confidence by bridging the gap between health coverage and out-of-pocket costs associated with hospital stays.
Advantages of Guardian's Hospital Indemnity plan:
- Pays indemnity benefits directly to an employee regardless of whether charges are covered by the employee's plan
- Plans are always guaranteed issue, meaning they are offered to any eligible applicant no matter their health status
- Highly flexible plan design, including plans that are compatible with health savings accounts, allows customers to select features that best fit with their employees' current medical plans, other supplemental health plans, and budgets
- Offered on an employer- or employee-pay basis
- Benefits are portable and members can stay with the same plan design and rates, even if they leave their current employer
Guardian's Hospital Indemnity plan is available to both Independence self-funded and fully-insured group customers and can be purchased on its own or in addition to other products offered by Independence.
About Independence Blue Cross
Independence Blue Cross is the leading health insurance organization in southeastern Pennsylvania. With our affiliates, we serve more than 8.5 million people in 32 states and the District of Columbia, including more than 2.5 million in the region. For nearly 80 years, we have been enhancing the health and wellness of the people and communities we serve by delivering innovative and competitively priced health care products and services; pioneering new ways to reward doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals for coordinated, quality care; and supporting programs and events that promote wellness. To learn more, visit www.ibx.com. Connect with us on Facebook at ibx.com/facebook and on Twitter at @ibx. Independence Blue Cross is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America® (Guardian) is an independent company. Guardian does not provide Blue Cross products or services. Guardian is solely responsible for this product or service.