CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwired - Nov 10, 2015) - When it comes to managing workers' compensation claims and return-to-work programs, employers and claims adjusters often struggle with what constitutes reasonable treatment and appropriate lengths of absence for injured employees.
As a result, benchmarking workers' compensation claims has become increasingly important -- spurring the development of industry-wide evidence-based treatment and return-to-work guidelines, like the Official Disability Guidelines (ODG).
To support these benchmarking efforts, Origami Risk -- a leading risk, insurance and claims management software provider -- now allows users to measure their own workers' comp claims data up against ODG data within the Origami Risk platform. The seamless comparisons can highlight claims that are predisposed to become problematic and then prompt corrective actions.
How Origami and ODG integration works
1. Origami Risk users collect and store their workers' comp claims data within the Origami Risk platform.
2. They then securely transmit that data to the ODG system via Origami Risk's platform, rather than logging into the ODG system separately.
3. The ODG data -- which is based on more than 10 million claims -- and Origami Risk client data "talk to each other" and report back ideal medical treatment protocols for input claims.
4. The integrated systems then calculate the relative risk level, projected costs and estimated amount of time off needed per employee claim -- and store that data in Origami Risk.
5. Users can establish a risk score threshold that automatically triggers claim intervention activities within Origami Risk's platform when ODG calculations exceed that threshold.
Why Origami and ODG integration matters
- Consistent Care: Reviewing standard courses of treatment and normalized return-to-work guidelines for injuries within the same system where your employee's similar injuries and claims are stored promotes consistent medical treatment and return-to-work recommendations -- and therefore, consistent claims-related costs.
- Benchmarking: Comparing employee workers' compensation claims data against broad industry data in one central location can help employers predict which of their claims might become problematic and forecast the reserves needed for payouts.
- Cost Control: The faster you can intervene with high-hazard claims, the more likely you'll be able to be able to keep costs under control. Once the data gives you visibility into claims that that are high-hazard, they can be escalated automatically -- prompting suggested actions or tasks for anyone related to those claims.
"Having organization-specific claims data side by side with industry data gives you insight about how to prioritize resolving claims," said Aaron Shapiro, executive director of sales and marketing for Origami Risk. "Having this combined information within the Origami Risk platform takes insight one step further and actually spurs action to further reduce costs and improve outcomes."
Visit Origami Risk at booth #310 at the National Workers' Compensation and Disability Conference in Las Vegas for a demonstration on how the ODG and Origami Risk integration works.
Origami Risk was founded by industry veterans committed to streamlining the collection, analysis and reporting of risk, insurance and claims information. The company's innovative software is designed with the latest technology and a focus on performance, dependability and ease-of-use. The company's service model was designed to ensure clients can easily transition to our platform, consistency and accessibility. For the past three years, Origami Risk was named the industry's #1 Risk Management Information System. To learn more about Origami Risk, visit www.origamirisk.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.