WASHINGTON, DC--(Marketwire - Feb 11, 2013) - Judicial Watch today released its list of investigative priorities for the new 113th Congress. The investigative agenda, which is being independently pursued by Judicial Watch, is a wide-ranging catalog of waste, fraud and abuse by the Obama administration. The investigative priorities include:
- Rule by Executive Fiat: President Obama's decision to bypass Congress, often contrary to the U.S. Constitution, and implement his agenda via executive fiat on a wide range of issues from undermining the Second Amendment to rewriting immigration law, to controlling free speech on the Internet.
- Benghazi-gate: The Obama administration's attempts to deceive the American people regarding the terrorist connection to the murder of four Americans, including a U.S. Ambassador, at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi; the decision by the State Department to deny support for U.S. forces during the attack and the Obama administration's refusal to bolster security at the consulate in the lead up to the anniversary of 9/11.
- Bin Laden Raid Leaks and Secrets: The Obama Department of Defense's (DOD) decision to leak classified details at the behest of the Obama White House to the filmmakers behind Zero Dark Thirty, a Hollywood film detailing the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden; the refusal of the Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate the leaks despite a criminal referral from the Pentagon's Office of Inspector General; the leaking of the names of military operatives involved in the raid by DOD Undersecretary Mike Vickers; the connection of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, to the leaks; the decision by the Obama DOD to withhold from the American people the videos and photos detailing the raid.
- Election Fraud: The DOJ's refusal to enforce provisions of the National Voter Registration Act, that requires states to maintain clean voter registration lists; DOJ's campaign to threaten, intimidate and sue states that attempt to implement election integrity provisions consistent with the law, such as voter ID laws; DOJ's collusion with radical leftist and corrupt special interest groups such as Project Vote and other ACORN-connected groups.
- Threats to Second Amendment Protections: The Obama administration's closed-door discussions with anti-gun activists designed to craft policies that restrict gun ownership and undermine the Second Amendment, including new policies that would seek to pressure businesses to toe the administration's gun agenda; policy recommendations that "suggest" doctors ask patients about gun ownership; efforts to compile federal registries on gun ownership; and efforts to use EPA regulations to restrict gun ownership.
- Fast and Furious: Barack Obama's highly controversial June 20, 2012, assertion of "executive privilege" to protect Attorney General Eric Holder from being prosecuted for failing to provide Congress with documents pertaining to the Obama administration's deadly gunrunning operation known as Operation Fast and Furious; Obama's invocation of executive privilege moves the legal and political questions surrounding the deaths of more than 300 Mexicans directly into the Oval Office; efforts by the Holder DOJ and top Justice officials to conceal their knowledge and participation in the Fast and Furious scandal and to escape accountability while blaming the scandal on low level officials.
- Ongoing Government Bailouts: The government's continued control of private sector institutions through bailouts of private financial institutions; government decisions regarding the ongoing Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) bailouts; the role of the Federal Reserve in supporting European Union bailouts and the continued financing of our nation's public debt; and the government takeover of the American automotive industry.
- Green Energy Boondoggles: The Obama Department of Energy's decision to funnel $16.4 billion to "green energy" companies either run by or primarily owned by Obama financial backers; the half-a-billion taxpayer dollars given to the now-bankrupt Solyndra, a green energy boondoggle financially backed by Tulsa billionaire Georg Kaiser, an Obama campaign fundraiser; the decision by the Obama White House to fast-track the Solyndra loan through the approval process; bailouts given to other failing "green pork" companies, such as Fisker Automotive, Ener1, Abound Solar, and Beacon Power.
- Illegal Immigration: The President's amnesty scheme for illegal aliens imposed via executive fiat; deteriorating security on the nation's border with Mexico; the Obama administration's unwillingness to enforce federal immigration laws and attacks against states attempting to confront the illegal immigration crisis.
- National Security: Unanswered questions concerning the relationship of the FBI and CIA to American-born militant Imam Anwar al-Aulaqi and his assassination per the order of Barack Obama in 2011; the Obama administration's determined efforts to censor speech about the threat of radical Islam.
- Obama Czars: Barack Obama's repeated attempts to bypass the "advice and consent" authority of the U.S. Senate and appoint unaccountable and corrupt czars to control major aspects of government policy and programs outside of the reach of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA); the decision by Obama to improperly employ a controversial recess appointment to install radical leftist Richard Cordray at the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau(CFPB) after the Senate had blocked his nomination; Obama's decision to use recess appointments to appoint three members of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), a move which exceeded his constitutional authority per a recent appeals court ruling.
- Obamacare: Obamacare's mandate to evaluate medical treatments based solely on cost; the Obama administration's secrecy regarding the distribution of Obamacare waivers; the Obama administration's use of taxpayer dollars to produce and distribute Obamacare propaganda; and the regulation and funding of Obamacare in general.
- Unprecedented Secrecy: The Obama administration's withholding of records pertaining to Obamacare to the continued funding of the criminal ACORN network; from tracking Wall Street bailout money to the unconstitutional use of czars; to withholding the Secret Service's White House visitor logs; to the attacks on the integrity of our nation's elections. (Judicial Watch has had to file almost 1,000 FOIA requests and nearly 100 FOIA lawsuits against the Obama administration.)
Judicial Watch, in partnership with Breitbart.com, commissioned an election night survey of voters conducted by Public Opinion Strategies, which found that corruption in the federal government is a serious concern among voters, with 85% saying they are "concerned" and of that number 53% saying they are "very concerned."
"There was only one non-partisan mandate handed to Congress and the president on Election Day 2012 -- to clean up corruption and restore the rule of law to Washington," stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. "President Obama has presided over the greatest expansion of government power in modern history and most of this activity has escaped congressional oversight. Judicial Watch is doing its part to fill in the oversight gap, but it is well past time for Congress to help pry loose information from the Obama administration, which has proven to be both highly secretive and corrupt."