ANAHEIM, CA--(Marketwire - Mar 18, 2013) - (OFC/NFOEC) -- Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today unveiled two new products designed to address key challenges facing service providers as they converge their networks to optimize their business.
First, Juniper Networks has advanced the industry's first and only Converged Supercore™ for service providers with the introduction of the Juniper Networks® PTX3000 Packet Transport Router. Unlike other core routers that are so large that they often require building retrofits and redesigns, the new Juniper Networks router at 10.6 inches in depth can be installed in virtually any space and energy constrained environment. The PTX3000 router's capacity is designed to rapidly scale over time up to 24 terabits per second (Tbps), enabling PTX3000 to simultaneously stream high-definition video to as many as three million households.
In addition, Juniper Networks announced an integrated packet-transport physical interface card (PIC) with two-ports of line rate 100 Gigabit forwarding for the entire PTX family, which will now enable service providers to cost-effectively interconnect sites more than 2000 kilometers (1243 miles) apart, the equivalent distance between San Francisco, Calif. and Denver, Colo.
- Reshaping Optical Core Routing: The PTX3000 breaks the mold for core routers shipping at almost 4Tbps in capacity, scaling up to 24 Tbps of total capacity and a mere 10.6 inches deep -- approximately the length of an Apple iPad. The PTX3000 Packet Transport Router provides network operators with groundbreaking size, performance and efficiency, addressing practical barriers that service providers face in upgrading networks today. The router follows Juniper's 2011 introduction of the world's first Converged Supercore, a new architecture to bring together the packet and transport worlds, and addresses the scale and flexibility challenges that today's service providers face. With the PTX3000, Juniper has redefined the upgrade so that one technician can manually hand-carry and install a PTX3000 within a matter of minutes versus hours.
- Industry's Lowest Power Footprint: With a simplified architecture, the PTX Series allows network operators to converge their networks from nationwide backbones down to the metro core, driving significant operational efficiencies. Juniper's approach collapses the traditional core architecture to deliver unprecedented scale at the lowest power footprint in the industry at less than one watt per Gigabit. PTX3000 customers can get started with a minimum configuration of as little as 1200 watts and a single power feed -- allowing smaller operators in space and power-constrained environments to be up and running quickly, while realizing all the benefits of the Converged Supercore.
- Rapid Service Expansion at a Fraction of the Cost: Powered by the purpose-built Junos® Express chipset and the proven reliability of the Junos operating system, the Juniper Networks PTX Series Packet Transport Router can scale for years to come, allowing operators to deliver mobile services to millions of subscribers at a cost savings of up to 65 percent over legacy architectures.
- No Compromise of Performance and Scale: The PTX Series delivers unmatched efficiency, wire-rate performance on all ports simultaneously, even for the smallest packet sizes, and by far the industry's lowest latency while at the same time reducing the cost of network ownership.
- Resetting the Density Bar for 100G Optical: Designed to cost-effectively interconnect long-haul metro sites, the integrated packet-transport 100G DWDM OTN interface card offers the industry's highest density 100G optical routing capabilities for use in open, standard-based architectures. It effectively reduces network complexity and offers transport performance with packet advantages. The new optical PIC also delivers the flexibility to operate across the entire PTX Series.
The PTX Series, in combination with the T Series Core Routers, the MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers, the ACX Series Universal Access Routers and Junos Space Network Management deliver a unique architecture for the future of service provider networks, promoting long-term investment protection by flexibly scaling total capacity to meet ever-increasing consumer and business traffic.
"Our business continuously evolves at the escalating pace of mobility and emerging cloud-based applications. Our enterprise customers need communications services that will scale on-demand and remain highly reliable, which means our network core must have a simple architecture, be automated, and function with minimal changes. Juniper's PTX Series routers enable us to meet our vision to rapidly deliver advanced communications services to customers. Our Juniper Supercore will improve our customers' experience and offers the flexibility to deliver more competitive solutions in the future."
- Randy Nicklas, chief technology officer, XO Communications
"To effectively deliver advanced services and remain competitive, service providers need a core network solution that will help streamline their business and reduce operational costs. The Converged Supercore is an innovative platform that enhances service provider economics while providing greater value to their subscribers. Following on the heels of the revolutionary PTX5000, the PTX3000 extends these benefits to new markets and geographies with a solution that is tailored for their specific needs."
- Rami Rahim, executive vice president, Platform Systems Division, Juniper Networks
"Traffic patterns in metro networks are rising at such a high rate that requirements in the IP metro core are similar to those of previous IP backbone core networks. The PTX3000 Packet Transport Router has clearly achieved a new packaging density for core routers, with capacity to scale up to 24 Tbps in an energy efficient, 1/2 rack, 300mm ETSI form factor. We expect that these characteristics will draw the consideration of service providers as they redesign their metro networks for the future."
- Michael Howard, principal analyst, Infonetics Research
Live Demonstrations at OFC/NFOEC and MPLS World Congress
Juniper Networks will demonstrate an end-to-end service provider network solution in booth #1433 at OFC/NFOEC March 19-21, including MPLS from access to core. It will showcase Juniper's award-winning ACX Series Universal Access Routers, the MX Series 3D Universal Edge Router, the game-changing Converged Supercore solution and PTX Series Packet Transport Switches. The demonstration will also highlight dynamic and application-based optimization using PCE and ALTO protocols for the delivery of differentiated services. In addition, the PTX Series will also be featured at MPLS World Congress 2013 at the Hotel Marriott Paris Rive Gauche in France, March 19-22.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo and Converged Supercore are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.