NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - December 20, 2016) - Americans are driving their vehicles more than they have in nearly a decade, thanks in large part to cheaper gas prices and lower unemployment. New York personal injury law firm Kaplan Lawyers PC say that this trend should make motorists especially mindful of road safety during the final stretch of 2016.
"It began the Wednesday before Thanksgiving," said John Tucker, Director of Claims Management, "with families going on the road, traveling many miles to visit friends and family, take vacations and shop for gifts. If the statistics from last year and the first half of 2016 are any indication, we will likely see more people on the road this holiday season than we have in quite some time."
The increase in traffic deaths in 2015 was the largest in the United States in 50 years, according to the National Safety Council. The first half of 2016 saw a 10 percent increase from the year before, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The agency also reported that Americans drove over 50 billion more miles in the first six months of 2016 as compared to the year before.
Kaplan Lawyers PC said that the increase could be an indicator of what to expect this holiday season and that it is in the best interest of all motorists to be cautious while traveling during Thanksgiving, Christmas and all points in between.
"People will travel during Christmas and possibly for New Year's. There are so many reasons that we travel during the last few weeks of the year, and safety should be front and center for all drivers."
Kaplan Lawyers PC make several suggestions that might be useful to motorists who will be traveling this holiday season:
- Prepare your vehicle for the winter months by having it serviced, inspected and winterized.
- Consider purchasing new tires, especially if the tread on your current set of tires is wearing down.
- Plan for trips by mapping your route and checking the weather to make sure conditions are safe. Keep a printed copy of directions and make sure you have a physical map in case of emergencies.
- Keep an emergency medical safety kit in your vehicle. Stock your vehicle with warm clothes, blankets, food, water, flashlights, batteries, flares and a spare tire.
- Make sure that all cargo inside and outside the vehicle is secured. This will reduce the risk of road debris and make the interior of a vehicle safer in the event of a crash or emergency braking.
"The holiday season should be a time of celebration, time that we spend with those who are important to us," said Mr. Tucker. "Planning ahead for the safety of your family might just make the difference between a great holiday season and a bad one."
About Kaplan Lawyers PC
The attorneys at Kaplan Lawyers PC help clients in legal matters ranging from personal injury claims to workers' compensation disputes. They have locations in New York City, Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County and Suffolk County. Visit the Kaplan Lawyers PC website or all (516) 399-2364 to learn more.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/12/20/11G125689/Images/John_Tucker_-1-bc9fbb8fc3f28d59afef6112fc75b866.jpg