GOLDEN VALLEY, MN--(Marketwire - Oct 30, 2012) - KARE 11 (NBC) Television takes an in-depth look at the threats that endanger our Minnesota waterways in "Project H2O" on Thursday, November 1st.
During this special 10 p.m. newscast, KARE 11 Chief Meteorologist Belinda Jensen and several reporters tackle many of the issues affecting the waters cherished by so many Minnesotans. Topics include endangered species, pollutants, and the devastating drought of recent years. They will also share success stories and offer ideas on how everyone can help preserve and protect this critical resource.
In order to provide complete coverage on this important topic, while still bringing viewers the latest news, weather and sport stories of the day, the newscast will contain only 4 commercial messages, sponsored exclusively by the University of Minnesota.
"'Project H2O' is a great opportunity with many firsts for KARE 11," said John Remes, KARE 11 president and general manager. "To fully address this topic that is important to all Minnesotans, it is our first limited commercial newscast; and our first partnership of this magnitude with the University of Minnesota."
"There are few issues that affect every Minnesotan as directly as the quality and quantity of our water," said news director Jane Helmke. "This special newscast will give our audience an opportunity to really see and experience what's at stake for all of us."
Project H2O content details:
- Take an underwater dive with KARE 11's Chief Meteorologist Belinda Jensen into one of Minnesota's biggest lakes as she shows us how a small problem quickly became a big threat and faster than anyone realized.
- We hear the term "invasive species" all the time, but what is real threat?
- View some of the top projects underway to protect our waterways, including several right here in the Twin Cities.
- The phenomenal story of the return of the sturgeon in northern Minnesota; coming back from near extinction thanks to an innovative program.
- Examples of how communities are taking action to reclaim and protect their local waterways, including live demonstrations and online resources.
Viewers will also have the chance to ask local experts their questions through an interactive Facebook chat during the newscast. Videos, photos and additional Project H2O content and resources will be available on kare11.com.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people -- and the companies who want to reach them -- with their interests and communities. For more information, visit www.gannett.com.