TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 24, 2012) - Costumes are being prepared, candy is being stocked, and pumpkins are being carved; this can only mean one thing - Halloween season is here! And while it's fun to spook friends, family and neighbours, it's important to keep the frights to fantasy and to avoid really scary Halloween hazards.
CSA Group, a leading testing and certification organization, would like to remind everyone of the following safety tips for a happy, haunted Halloween.
- When purchasing light strings, animatronics, strobe and black lights, fog machines, or extension cords, look for a certification mark from an accredited certification organization, such as CSA Group. The CSA mark provides assurance that products are tested and certified to the applicable standards for safety and performance.
- Don't overload extension cords. Use heavy duty extension cords for high wattage decorations, like fog machines and large electronically-animated displays. Ensure lights and electrical decorations are marked for 'outdoor use'.
- Before working with outdoor wiring, turn off the electricity to the supply outlet and unplug the connection.
- Carefully inspect each electrical decoration. Cracked or frayed sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may provide a shock or fire hazard. If found, discard damaged light sets and replace damaged power cords.
- When hanging lights outdoors, keep electrical connectors above ground, out of water, and away from metal eavestroughs.
- Use insulated fasteners rather than metal nails or tacks to hold light strings in place.
- When decorating your home, be extra careful using candles. Use flashlights or battery-operated candles when lighting pumpkins, displays and walkways. Do not use open flames near combustible materials.
- Whenever possible, connect all outdoor lighting into receptacles protected by weatherproof ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI). These can provide protection from electric shock by sensing ground leakage and cutting electrical power.
About CSA Group
CSA Group is an independent, not-for-profit membership association dedicated to safety, social good and sustainability. Its knowledge and expertise encompass standards development; training and advisory solutions; global testing and certification services across key business areas including hazardous location and industrial, plumbing and construction, medical, safety and technology, appliances and gas, alternative energy, lighting and sustainability; as well as consumer product evaluation services. The CSA certification mark appears on billions of products worldwide. For more information about CSA Group visit www.csagroup.org.
Version française disponible