SOURCE: Oracle Corporation
REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 24, 2012) - Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- In a recent report, Evaluator Group found that deploying Oracle Real Application Clusters and the Oracle E-Business Suite using the Oracle VM Templates on Oracle VM was much faster than a traditional install performed with VMware vSphere 5(1).
- Using Oracle VM Templates, the Oracle Real Application Clusters 11g Release 2 configuration deployed in just under 4 hours. With VMware vSphere 5, the same configuration took nearly 40 hours to deploy. In a similar comparison, the Oracle E-Business Suite 12.1.1 configuration deployed in two hours and 15 minutes, vs more than 15 hours.
- Requiring nearly zero application or operating system installation knowledge, Oracle VM Templates help substantially reduce the risk and time needed to deploy enterprise applications. In non-Oracle VM environments, customers can spend many months building similar solutions and fine tuning them, which typically requires in depth product knowledge.
Providing Value Beyond Server Consolidation
- Oracle VM Templates enable the deployment of a complete application runtime environment within a virtual machine. The operating system, database and applications are installed, updated to the correct patch levels and automatically configured at the initial boot time of the VM, without any additional system or application installation tasks required.
- Certified by Oracle, the templates allow IT organizations to simplify and speed virtualization and deployment of their enterprise applications within traditional or cloud-based infrastructures and reduce deployment time down to hours and minutes rather than days and weeks.
- Oracle offers more than 100 Oracle VM Templates, available for Oracle Database, Oracle Real Application Clusters, the Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle's PeopleSoft, Oracle Linux, Oracle Solaris, Oracle Fusion Middleware and many more. Customers can also create their own Oracle VM Templates for non-Oracle applications.
- Oracle VM is optimized to accelerate deployment and simplify management of the entire application stacks. With integrated management, through Oracle Enterprise Manager, testing, and support from applications to disk, Oracle's unique approach to virtualization not only helps consolidate IT resources -- it enables IT to deliver cloud services rapidly and efficiently.
- "Time is a valuable commodity for IT departments, who are more often than not spending multiple weeks implementing new applications," said Wim Coekaerts, senior vice president of Oracle Linux and Virtualization. "The time savings Oracle VM and Oracle VM Templates provide is a game-changer for IT, allowing them to deploy key application stacks significantly faster than with VMware vSphere."
- "Oracle VM's application-driven architecture was built to enable rapid deployment of enterprise applications, with simplified integrated lifecycle management, to fully support Oracle applications. Our testing has demonstrated 90 percent improvement deploying Oracle Real Application Clusters 11g R2 using Oracle VM Templates and a similar improvement of 85 percent for the Oracle E-Business Suite 12.1.1. This clearly shows that Templates can provide real value to customers and should become an essential component for enabling rapid enterprise application deployment and management," said Leah Schoeb, Senior Partner, Evaluator Group.
(1) Source: "Oracle VM - Quantifying the Value of Application-Driven Virtualization," July, 2012, Leah Schoeb
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
About Evaluator Group
Evaluator Group, an independent analyst firm, educates IT end users to make informed decisions on IT infrastructure. For more information, visit www.evaluatorgroup.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.