SOURCE: Lunabee, Inc.

Lunabee, Inc.

November 11, 2013 12:52 ET

Lunabee Survey Finds that 17 Percent of Internet Users Often Forget Their Online Passwords, Creating Mandatory Password Reset

Forgetfulness Is Cause for Concern as 82 Percent of Those Surveyed Are Now Using Their Devices for Mobile Banking and 76 Percent Conduct Mobile Commerce

SINGAPORE and LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwired - Nov 11, 2013) - Lunabee, an innovator of mobile and desktop applications, today announced the results of an online survey of more than 100 end users about their current opinions on mobile banking and commerce, mobile device and password security, and their usage of iCloud as a storage service. 

Password Safety

"With the enormous amount of online and mobile services that require passwords, of course it is highly recommended that users maintain different passwords to defend against hackers and online criminals, especially since 58 percent, well over half of those surveyed, admitting that they forget their passwords and must use the system reset on websites to start over," said Olivier Berni, managing director, Lunabee.

Only 10 percent of those surveyed were able to say that they never forget their passwords. Surprisingly, 52 percent admitted that they often write down their passwords to help them keep track.

Mobile Banking and Commerce

It has become clear that the fears associated with mobile banking and mobile commerce have subsided by the mobile user. Eighty-two percent of those surveyed are now using their devices for mobile banking and more than three quarters, 76 percent, now conduct mobile commerce on those same devices. 

Mobile payments sees a slight drop, at 72 percent, for those who say that they use their device for payment transactions. While the other 28 percent admit to not conducting payments on their devices, 80 percent of those feel that they would use their device for more transactions if overall security was improved.

Cloud Storage

As more technologies integrate with Apple's iCloud as a storage option for data, the majority of those surveyed, 70 percent, stated that they were very comfortable with their data residing on Apple's server while syncing via iCloud. An astounding 80 percent said that they do not feel more secure using Dropbox over iCloud to store and share information.

83 percent of those surveyed do use the iCloud sync feature in oneSafe to share information across devices.

"The survey findings illustrate that users feelings towards mobile commerce and security have become a positive user experience," said Berni. "As technologies improve and security heightens, we expect to see the management of passwords to become even more difficult for users. To assist, they can use password management applications to help remove the stress of remembering each and every one of your passwords to the multitude of login screens we see daily."

Survey Methodology

The online survey was conducted in August and September 2013, and asked for the opinions of Lunabee customers and prospects on multiple aspects of mobile, cloud, and device security.

Respondents represented the following demographic:

  • Male (88 percent), Female (22 percent)
  • Age range - 15-25 (5 percent), 26-40 (23 percent), 41-60 (59 percent), 60+ (14 percent)
  • Mobile device - iPhone (48 percent), iPad (42 percent), Samsung Galaxy S (2 percent), Samsung Note (2 percent), Google Nexus (1 percent), HTC (1 percent), Other (4 percent)

About Lunabee

Lunabee Pte Ltd is a technology startup company publishing cutting edge mobile and desktop Apps. Inspired by Apple products, it releases great-looking, functional applications that simply work well.

After more than ten years of experience in the software business, working in the positions of project director and business consultant at Moody's Analytics, Gregory and Olivier, both fans of Apple products, decided to create their own application company.

Lunabee Pte Ltd was founded in Singapore in early 2011 and quickly became a multinational company after setting up product development in the French Alps on the shores of Lac du Bourget.

NOTE TO EDITORS: Copies of Lunabee's OneSafe are available for review; please specify platform and send email to dchm@madisonalexanderpr.com for a download code.

Contact Information

  • Contact:
    Dan Chmielewski
    Madison Alexander Public Relations
    714.832.8716 (o)
    949.231.2965 (c)