Canada Border Services Agency

Canada Border Services Agency

April 03, 2012 10:15 ET

Making Your Return to Canada Easier This Easter Weekend

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 3, 2012) - The warmer weather brings with it higher travel volumes. This Easter weekend is no exception and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) would like to help you prepare for longer border wait times at some ports of entry.

For information, including entry requirements into Canada, visit the CBSA Web site at, go to Travel Tips and then I Declare. There, you'll find a downloadable copy of I Declare, outlining what to expect when you arrive. If you plan to fly, view our video Arriving by Air: Welcome home. Welcome to Canada.

Prepare yourself and know what to expect before arriving at the border. Whether you travel by land or air, plan ahead with the following helpful tips:

Travel documents

  • A valid Canadian passport, while not mandatory, is the preferred piece of identification for Canadians entering Canada. Other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's licence, Permanent Resident Card, or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a NEXUS or Free and Secure Trade card for Canadian citizens.
  • For more information about U.S. entry requirements, visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Web site at

Save yourself time at the border with your NEXUS card

Join NEXUS to take advantage of simplified and expedited border clearance for low-risk, pre-approved members. NEXUS members avoid long lineups using automated, self-serve kiosks at airports or designated NEXUS lanes at specific land border crossings.

Travelling with children

If you are travelling alone with minor children or if you are not the legal guardian, you should carry proper documentation, such as custody and legal separation documents and a letter of authorization to facilitate your entry back into Canada.

Making your declaration

Know your personal exemptions, including those for alcohol and tobacco. Declare all purchases made (including duty-free purchases), and have your receipts totaled and readily available upon your return to Canada.

Food, plants and related products

To avoid bringing pests, viruses and diseases into Canada, all food, plants and related products from other countries must be declared at the border. If you are unsure whether the product is allowed, declare the item and discuss it with a border services officer. No penalties are assessed if goods are declared. Goods that are not declared are subject to seizure, penalties and could lead to prosecution.

Plan ahead

Be sure to check our Web site for travel tips at You'll find information to help you avoid peak wait times at

Reminder : The following personal exemption changes take effect June 1, 2012 :

Absence Exemption
Absence of 24hrs or more $200 CAN
Absence of 48hrs or more $800 CAN

*There are no exemptions for same day travel.

Follow us on Twitter (@CanBorder), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.

Contact Information

  • Headquarters:
    Media line

    Pacific Region:
    Faith St. John

    Prairie Region:
    Lisa White

    Northern Ontario Region:
    Chris Kealey

    Greater Toronto Area Region:
    Media Line

    Southern Ontario Region:
    Jean D'Amelio Swyer
    905-933-5463 or 519-967-4330

    Quebec Region:
    Media Line

    Atlantic Region:
    Media Line