PETALUMA, CA--(Marketwired - Oct 29, 2013) - MarketLive, the leading eCommerce platform for high-growth merchants, has released its annual online retailer survey and recommendations for the 2013 holiday retail season. Among the many report findings, MarketLive found that an overwhelming majority of holiday shoppers will respond to retailers' promotions offering free shipping, and they will ultimately shop with the retailer who can guarantee an on-time delivery date and/or the best shopping experience.
The survey sample included 1,000 consumer questionnaires. The report illustrates consumer survey results with tactical examples drawn from promotional campaigns by Nordstrom, Sport Chalet, Sephora, Cost Plus World Market, Lowe's, Home Depot, Pottery Barn, REI, Restoration Hardware, Sundance Catalog, Helzberg Diamonds, Amazon, Blue Nile, and Francesca's.
"This year's survey underlined the need for retailers to prepare and be able to adapt more than ever for the holiday season," said Lauren Freedman, President, the e-tailing group. "Responses clearly demonstrate that online shopping is becoming the norm across all categories -- and price and a near-perfect experience are the drivers of conversion."
Among the consumer trends that online retailers can expect this holiday shopping season:
- 91% of online shoppers will respond to a promotion that offers free standard shipping
- 87% will shop with the online retailer who can guarantee an on-time delivery date
- 72% want to buy or reserve a product online (or via their mobile phone) for pickup, before coming to the store
- 69% plan to shop online on Cyber Monday (edging out the 68% who plan to shop on Black Friday)
- 65% of online shoppers still want a traditional gift card/gift certificate to give, and rank it the #1 gifting tool
- 52% want online retailers to have a 'Wish List' or registry where they can find out what others want
- 38% will be loyal to a retailer because of their loyalty/rewards program; 51% will be loyal because of their customer service; 90% will be loyal because of their prices
- 31% will pay full price for a gift if they receive free shipping
"Online shoppers have become quite savvy. They know how to comparison shop from their mobile phones and they have come to expect certain things like free shipping," said Ken Burke, founder and chairman of MarketLive. "But our survey also uncovered many tactical things that online retailers can do this holiday season -- like tangible gift cards, 24/7 customer service reps and online ratings and social sharing -- to attract customers, retain margins, and compete successfully this holiday season."
Interested media may request a copy of the report by contacting Renee Newby at email@example.com or +1-415-464-8110 x213.
Connect with MarketLive
- Find case studies and best practices at the MarketLive blog: http://www.marketlive-blog.com/
- Follow us on Twitter for the latest webinar invites, events and surveys: https://twitter.com/MarketLiveInc
- Discuss e-commerce with your peers at our LinkedIn page: http://www.linkedin.com/company/marketlive
- Like MarketLive on Facebook to receive the latest trends and news: https://www.facebook.com/marketlive
Since 1995, MarketLive, Inc., has been the leading provider of eCommerce technology and services that help fast-growing companies successfully sell goods and services online. Designed to meet the unique requirements of catalogers, retailers, direct marketers, and manufacturers, the extensible MarketLive® eCommerce Suite and MarketLive's best practices-based Intelligent Selling® methodology enable merchants to enhance their customers' experience online while dramatically improving acquisition, conversion, and retention rates.
The MarketLive platform is the most retail-targeted, fully featured, customizable eCommerce solution on the market today. MarketLive powers many successful retail eCommerce sites, including Armani Exchange, Party City, Perricone MD, Sport Chalet, Sundance, Helzberg, John Deere, Title Nine, Intermix and others.
For more information, visit www.marketlive.com.