MILWAUKEE, WI--(Marketwired - Sep 13, 2016) - Between homework, sports, plays and scouting events, the fall can mean hectic schedules for families, making it more important than ever to ensure that safety stays top of mind. To help, Master Lock is providing fall family safety tips and easy-to-use products so parents and children can enjoy the season without worry.
"During the fall many families' schedules are busier than ever, but it's still important for parents to make safety and security a priority," said Rebecca Smith, vice president, marketing for Master Lock. "Now that school year routines are established, it's a perfect time to address safety topics with your children, such as guidelines for staying safe at home and on-the-go."
Master Lock encourages families to follow these tips to stay safe this fall:
- Be aware of surroundings. As dusk and darkness creep up earlier each day, remind children to follow safety precautions on their way to and from home. Whether walking all the way home or just to a parked car, students are advised to be aware of their surroundings, stick with a friend or in a group, stay in well-lit areas, avoid short cuts and always observe traffic rules.
- Review bike safety. With kids of all ages riding their bikes to and from school and extracurricular activities, it's important for parents to review safety rules with their children. Lock up smaller electronics and other valuables, including cell phones and MP3s, in a portable mini safe, such as the Master Lock 5900D SafeSpace. While on the road, wear a properly fitting helmet and bright colored clothing that is visible to drivers and other cyclists. Make sure young riders follow the rules of the road by riding in the same direction as cars, stopping at stop signs and following traffic lights. With more than 1.5 million bikes stolen each year,* encourage kids to utilize a bike lock to deter theft. The Master Lock No. 8300D Speed Dial™ Set Your Own Directional Combination Cable Lock allows users to easily set and reset their combination using simple to remember directional arrows, letters or numbers.
- Establish a "home alone" routine. Sometimes situations arise where teens will be home without supervision, whether coming home after school to an empty house or due to busy weekend activities. It's good to set guidelines with your children to follow when home alone including, locking the door immediately after entering the house, calling to check in as soon as he or she gets home, not answering the door for any visitors and reviewing relevant emergency phone numbers and exit plans. Instead of hiding an extra set of house keys beneath a door mat or under a nearby rock, the new Master Lock SafeSpace® Portable Light-Up Dial Lock Box 5424D is the perfect solution for securely storing house keys outside so that children (or parents) are never left locked out.
- Practice gun safety. If a household possesses firearms, it is of the utmost importance that they are always secured, especially when children are present. Use maximum security measures by locking up firearms and storing them in a safe that is located out of children's reach. Designed with a dual lever locking mechanism, the Master Lock 107DSPT Gun Lock can only be opened and closed when the key is inserted and turned for added security measures. The Sentry Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe provides ready access to your firearm when needed in an emergency, while its pry resistant solid steel construction helps prevent unauthorized access. Remember to always remove ammunition before storage, and keep ammunition in a locked location separate from firearms.
- Revisit fire safety preparedness. While talking with your children about safety guidelines, fall is also an ideal time to create or practice a fire safety plan. Start with inspecting your home to ensure all smoke detectors are functioning properly and reviewing the sound of the alarm with children so they know what do to when it goes off. Make an evacuation plan by visiting each room in your home, designating two ways out and check that all windows and doors open easily. Lastly, designate a safe meeting place outside the home where your family can gather after exiting and practice the escape plan. In the event of a fire, you don't want to waste time gathering personal items. Sixty-nine percent of North Americans** said that they would be devastated to lose personal identification documents -- social security card, passport, financial documents and photos. As these items are nearly impossible to replace, a fire- and water-resistant safe like the SentrySafe SFW123FTC Extra Large Digital Fire Safe allows valuables to stay intact for recovery post-disaster.
For more safety tips and products or to find a retailer near you, visit the Master Lock website and connect with Master Lock on social via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or YouTube.
About Master Lock
The Master Lock Company is recognized around the world as the authentic, enduring name in padlocks and security products. Master Lock Company offers a broad range of innovative security and safety solutions for consumer, commercial, and industrial end-users. Master Lock Company LLC is an operating unit of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a leading consumer brands company. Headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., Fortune Brands Home & Security Inc. (NYSE: FBHS), is included in the S&P 500 Index. For more information about Master Lock visit www.masterlock.com.
*According to the National Bike Registry
**According to a June 2016 Master Lock Survey of more than 2,000 U.S. and Canadian residents